Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lead Academic Tutor - Gear Up
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Type
- Regular Part-Time
The Youth Policy Institute is currently seeking a part-time Lead Academic Tutor for the 2019/2020 school year. GEAR UP stands for Gaining Early Awareness and Readiness for Undergraduate Programs and follows students with programming from their 6th grade year to their first year in college. The group of GEAR UP schools are a combination of charter, pilot, and traditional LAUSD schools located in the San Fernando Valley and Los Angeles Area, whose mission is to transform communities with a continuum of cradle-to-college-and-career services and will be a zone of choice for families with a wide range of high-quality school options.
The Lead Academic Tutor will assist students in developing the necessary skills needed to master the required grade level standards by providing one-on-one and/or small group tutoring and perform program data entry. Additionally, s/he will also serve as a support for 5-10 part-time tutors during both the normal school day and the after school tutoring program (when applicable).
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide one on one and/or small group academic tutoring, depending on school site.
- Maintain a professional relationship with teachers, administration, students, parents, and community members.
- Keep constant communication with teachers, school site staff, Academic Coordinator, and Community School Coordinator.
- Assist in the distribution, collection, validation, and the follow up program enrollment documentation.
- Must maintain accurate daily attendance records and program spreadsheets.
- Record academic tutoring and enrollment program data in data system.
- Supervise all participants to ensure a safe learning environment and organized program.
- Work collaboratively with teachers in the implementation of lesson plans.
- Develop a full working knowledge of academic state standards.
- Create and utilize differentiated learning approaches to assist students in the development of their academic skill set.
- Ensure that all after school tutoring staff arrives to the school site on time.
- Report any accountability concerns with tutoring staff.
- Facilitate weekly planning meetings with tutoring staff.
- Communicate with parents regularly (i.e. student attendance, student performance, student participation documentation)
- Adhere to workplace safety guidelines.
- Adhere to tutor/student boundaries as outlined in Code of Conduct.
- Attend required staff meetings, trainings and events on and offsite.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to dedicate between 20-25 hours a week during regular school hours, Monday-Friday 8:00-4:00 and Monday-Friday 8:00-5:00 for sites with afterschool tutoring.
- High school diploma, General Education Diploma (GED) or equivalent education required.
- Strong English Language Arts (ELA) and/or Math skills. Understanding of public-school transition to Common Core Standards.
- Currently enrolled or recent college graduate, with a completion of freshman English, college math (Algebra II) and/or equivalent math credits.
- One year paid or volunteer experience in tutoring/mentoring environment, preferably with middle school or high school students.
- Must have effective communication skills and demonstrated leadership experience.
- Proven ability to assist students with academic assignments.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds (in particular: minority, low income, or first- generation students).
- Familiarity with differentiated instruction practices.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment as needed.
- Ability to interface and interact with all levels of staff (administrators, teachers, parents, and students).
- Ability to plan and implement lesson plans, as needed.
- Self-motivated, responsible, and professional attitude at all times.
- Bilingual Spanish is a plus.
- Some evenings and/or weekends may be required.
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment.
- Must present proof of being free of activate Tuberculosis (TB) prior to beginning employment. All TB clearances must be conducted no more than 60 days prior to start of employment.
- Must have access to reliable transportation. If applicable, will be required to provide proof of current California driver license, acceptable driving record (current DMV H6 printout), and current liability auto insurance.
- 20-25 hours weekly