Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
College and Career Advisor - LAPN
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Type
- Regular Full-Time
The College & Career Advisor will be responsible for the development and implementation of YPI's college-and-career readiness projects. The College & Career Advisor will develop a College Ambassador Youth Program; outreach, recruit and provide services to students and parents with college awareness advising session, workshops, and/or weekend events.
- Design, coordinate, and implement student and parent services at target school sites.
- programming in areas such as post-secondary education options, financial aid, career exploration through workshops, events, individual and small group counseling and classroom presentation.
- Ensure student participants and parents are served from the surrounding targeted schools.
- Provide training for school personnel, department personnel in areas such as, but not limited to the following: postsecondary preparation, financial aid and college selection, academic preparation.
- Support with coordination of college field trips and college and career fairs.
- Ensure that all objectives are met in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Assist supervisor with planning and program development.
- Resolve issues pertaining to delivery of services of the college awareness project.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with students, parents, school, community, and partner personnel.
- Provide walk-in counseling around college and career preparation for community residents.
- Attend community events, forums, and other events that relate to the goals and objectives of the program.
- Participate in community meetings, staff meetings, and training workshops that relate to the goals and objectives of the program.
- Responsible for a region of schools.
- Support with all required programs documents.
- Complete required reports and update to supervisor in a weekly, bi-weekly, and/or monthly basis .
- Coordinating the collection and input of evaluation data used to measure ongoing program effectiveness of services and program outcome measures.
- Guide services and curriculum development to ensure that objectives are met.
- Responsible for managing program outcomes.
- Assist with coordination of AB540 workshops, coordination of Cash for College events.
- Bachelor degree in education, liberal studies or related area; PPS Credential preferred.
- Minimum 2-3 years experience providing direct services to students and parents, multicultural populations or under-prepared students.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with school personnel, after school personnel, program officers, evaluators, parents, students and community professionals.
- Coordinate programming in areas such as post-secondary education options, financial aid, career exploration through workshops, events, individual and small group counseling and classroom presentation.
- Experience working in collaboration with mentoring, after-school , and other activities (such as events, workshops, fieldtrips) that relate to the goals and objectives of the program.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated competency with technology, internet, software, etc.
- Demonstrated competency with record-keeping, documentation and data management.
- Ability to teach service delivery skills to volunteers, interns, peer mentors, and others as needed.
- Expertise in program design and availability to decision making regarding participant service delivery and liability.
- Ability to provide leadership and coordination of day-to-day programming.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Must have independent judgment and problem solving ability.
- Must be available to work flexible schedule (some mornings, some evenings).
- Ability to work under only general supervision, self-starter, ability to multi-task.
- Punctual, deadline-driven.
- Must have access to reliable transportation for frequent travel between sites.
- If applicable, will be required to present current California driver license, proof of acceptable driving record (DMV H-6 printout), and liability auto insurance.
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment with children.
- Must present proof of negative Tuberculosis skin test (Mantoux) prior to beginning employment dated within 60 days prior to start date.