Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Academic Tutor - LAPN
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Job Type
- Regular Part-Time
The Youth Policy Institute is currently seeking an Academic Tutor for its Los Angeles Promise Neighborhood (LAPN) program. LAPN will transform the communities of Pico Union and Hollywood with a continuum of cradle to college and career services, and will be a zone of choice for families with a wide range of high quality options including traditional, charter, pilot, and partnership schools.
The centerpiece of LAPN is an innovative public private partnership that blends diverse funding streams around a core set of outcomes and objectives. The Academic Tutor will assist students in developing the necessary skills needed to master the required grade level standards by providing one-on-one and/or small group tutoring. The Academic Tutor will be placed in an elementary, middle, or high school within the Pico Union and Hollywood area where they will work under the supervision of the Community School Coordinator.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Provide one on one and/or small group academic tutoring, depending on school site.
- Maintain a professional relationship with teachers, administration, students, parents, and community members.
- Keep constant communication with teachers, school site staff, Academic Coordinator, and Community School Coordinator.
- Must maintain accurate daily attendance records.
- Supervise all participants to ensure a safe learning environment and organized program.
- Work collaboratively with teachers in the implementation of lesson plans.
- Develop a full working knowledge of academic state standards.
- Create and utilize differentiated learning approaches to assist students in the development of their academic skill set.
- Adhere to workplace safety guidelines.
- Adhere to tutor/student boundaries as outlined in Code of Conduct.
- Attend required staff meetings, trainings and events on and offsite.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Leo Politi Elementary School
- Hollywood Primary Center
- Berendo Middle School
- Monsenor Oscar Romero Charter School (MORCS)
- Miguel Contreras Learning ComplexSchool of Social Justice
- School of Business and Tourism
- Academic Leadership Community
- School of Global Studies
- Strong ELA and/or Math skills. Understanding of public school transition to Common Core Standards.
- High school diploma, General Education Diploma (GED) or equivalent education required.
- Must have effective communication skills and demonstrated leadership experience.
- Proven ability to assist students with academic assignments.
- Experience working with students from diverse backgrounds (in particular minority, low income, or first generation students).
- Familiarity with differentiated instruction practices.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment as needed.
- Ability to interface and interact with all levels of staff (administrators, teachers, parents, and students).
- Ability to plan and implement lesson plans, as needed.
- Self-motivated, responsible, and professional attitude at all times.
- Some evenings and/or weekends may be required.
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment.
- Must present proof of being free of activate Tuberculosis (TB) prior to beginning employment. All TB clearances must be conducted no more than 60 days prior to start of employment.
- Must have access to reliable transportation. If applicable, will be required to provide proof of current California driver license, acceptable driving record (current DMV H6 printout), and current liability auto insurance.
- Currently enrolled or recent college graduate, with a completion of freshman English, college math (Algebra II) and/or equivalent math credits.
- One year paid or volunteer experience in tutoring/mentoring environment, preferably with elementary, middle school or high school students.
- Bilingual Spanish is a plus.