YMCA of San Diego County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Specialty Instructor II - Water Exercise
at YMCA of San Diego County
$18.00 - $24.75/Hour
Mission Valley YMCA
# of Openings:
Seeking energetic and friendly staff that are excited for the opportunity to work with families and members of the communities. As a Specialty Instructor, you are responsible for building positive relationships among members, participants, volunteers and staff by actively greeting members and participants and providing excellent customer service, guidance and leadership. Create and deliver fitness programs within the specialty area hired for, including but not limited to cardiovascular and strength exercise and/or mind-body exercise. Lead specialty fitness classes in a safe, effective and timely manner, appropriate to the level of the participants in class, to enhance the physical, mental and spiritual health of each student. Individuals selected for this position will receive the benefit of a free family membership and have a great opportunity to be a part of an organization that positively impacts the lives of others!
What a Specialty Instructor Does…
- Create and deliver group exercise classes within the parameters of class description and level.
- Represent the YMCA by utilizing tools and information to increase member knowledge of fitness as well as other programs provided through the YMCA (handouts, charts, brochures, etc.).
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with members through a proactive approach.
- Instruct class members on correct position and body alignment to prevent injuries.
What We Look for in a Specialty Instructor…
- Minimum of 18 years of age or older.
- 1 National Exercise Instructor Certification (YMCA, ACE, etc.), OR 1 Specialty Certification OR 1 year program certificate in related field OR 4 year degree in health and wellness, dance or related field.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience leading group exercise classes preferred.
- YMCA Healthy Lifestyle Principles certifications within 90 days from date of hire.
- Physical ability to lead and participate in exercise/fitness activities.
- Ability to communicate verbally to large and small groups of members.
- Strong communication skills and the capability to work with members of all fitness levels and abilities.
- Knowledge of fitness principles and practical applications required.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.
- Current CPR (First Aid, if offsite) certification required and must be from one of the following certifying organization: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.