YMCA of San Diego County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at YMCA of San Diego County
Current Kitchen Educator Opportunities
- Coastal - Dan McKinney Family YMCA
The Kitchen Educator serves as a lead chef and educator for the Kitchen Program. Responsible for cooking lessons including needed ingredients, serving food to participants and staff, and washing dishes.
What a Kitchen Educator does...
- Prepares and leads cooking demonstrations for kitchen program
- Prepares kitchen space and ingredients to be used for cooking demonstrations and classes. Washes, peels, cuts and seeds vegetables and fruits and cleans and cuts meats, poultry and seafood
- Cleans work areas, equipment and utensils and washes dishes after food preparation and meal times
- Utilizes Kitchen assistant for help with kitchen responsibilities
- Responsible for following lesson plan and leading program and engaging participants to answer questions and educate
- Complies with applicable health and safety codes
- Develop a strong Y presence in the community forming professional relationships with key community leaders
- Actively participate in the Annual Support fundraising campaign and Branch Special Events as assigned
What we look for in a Kitchen Educator...
- Food Handler Certification required
- Must have a degree in a Culinary Arts related field and 2 years’ experience working as chef or 2-3 years working in a related field
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time
- Physical ability to lift 20+ pounds
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency and follow the branch emergency plan
- CPR/AED and First Aid certification required within first 30 days of employment