YMCA of San Diego County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at YMCA of San Diego County
Toby Wells YMCA
# of Openings:
Looking for professional, passionate, flexible and motivated candidates to work in their Aquatics department. As a Head Lifeguard, you are responsible to maintain a safe aquatic environment. In the absence of the Aquatic Director or Coordinator, the Head Lifeguard will supervise staff, maintain facility operations, assist in the administrative duties of the Aquatics Department, and lifeguard to ensure the safety of members and participants. Individuals selected for this position will receive the benefit of a free family membership and have a great opportunity to be a part of an organization that positively impacts the lives of others!
What a Head Lifeguard Does…
- Practices preventive lifeguard techniques at all times to include but not limited to the following:
- Positioned to have full view of the area of responsibility above and below water surface
- Area of responsibility not greater than 180 degrees
- Scan area of responsibility every 5 to 10 seconds
- Must have contact with victim within 10 seconds
- Remain within 2 feet of the pool at all times
- Administers First Aid ,CPR, AED or 02 as necessary
- Informs Aquatics Director/ Coordinator when there is a situation in which the pool is unsafe or needs to be closed and when mechanical problems arise.
- Supervises Aquatic Staff, in the absence of the Aquatic Director/Coordinator, to ensure all facility policies are being enforced and observed by staff.
- Ensures that pump room operations, including chemical levels, water clarity, and chlorine/ acid tanks are at the appropriate levels and standards (within the scope of training/certification).
- Resolves problems with members and participants to the best of your ability or informs Aquatics Director/ Coordinator if not resolved in a timely manner.
What We Look for in a Head Lifeguard…
- Minimum age of 18 years of age
- Minimum 2 years’ experience as a lifeguard
- Current YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard Training (must crossover to YMCA in 6 months)
- Current First Aid for Public Safety Personnel and must be from one of the following certifying organization: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.
- Current CPR PRO/AED and must be from one of the following certifying organization: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.
- Current O2 certification and must be from one of the following certifying organizations: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.
- Current CPO certification or within 60 days of hire
- Previous experience in supervision of staff preferred
- Must pass written and practical skills prior to duty
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents, and the physical ability to act swiftly in emergency situations
- Ability to observe participants activities adequately, to enforce safety regulations, and to apply appropriate policies and procedures.
- Lifeguard Instructor certification desirable