YMCA of San Diego County
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Camp Program Leader/Lifeguard
at YMCA of San Diego County
Looking for a fun job to build your leadership skills?
Would you be a positive, enthusiastic role model to campers?
Are you 18 or older?
Join us as a Camp Program Leader & Lifeguard!
GROW YOUR CAREER AT OUR Y LOCATION(S) BELOW!
- Cameron Family YMCA
- Dan McKinney Family YMCA
- Magdalena Ecke Family YMCA
- Ryan Family YMCA (Peninsula)
Y would I apply?
- FREE Complete Gym Membership
- FREE Workout Classes
- FREE Pool Access
- Work with Your Friends - Text them the link to this page now!
- Build Your Resume
- Opportunities for Growth
- Community Involvement
Sound good? (We think so, too!) Here’s what you would do:
- Contribute to planning and implementation of the daily program
- Plan and implement lesson plans in areas of outdoor education, arts & crafts, cooking, sports or recreational games, drama, singing, team building and science
- Create an age-appropriate learning environment, which allows for and fosters creativity and individuality in the campers
- Practice preventative lifeguard techniques at all times
- Provide constant supervision of assigned campers at all times
- Ensure the safety and well-being of all campers in the group and entire camp
- Maintain a positive and responsive relationship with staff, campers and parents
- Encourage positive social skills and appropriate behavior by example
- Notify City or County Lifeguards upon arrival at beach to establish optimal location for camp and to ensure safety of all campers
- Educate participants regarding boundaries and rules of swimmer area
“OK, I’m sold!” What do I need to qualify?
- Must be 18 or older
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- 1 year of experience working with children
- Current YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard Certification
- Must crossover to YMCA certification within 6 months
- Current Certifications:
- CPR for Professional Rescuer
- First Aid
- The Certifications above must be from one of the following certifying organizations:
- American Red Cross
- American Heart Association
- American Safety & Health Institute
- Must pass written and practical skills exam prior to duty
- Ability to lead campers in at least 2 of the following areas: recreational games, drama, crafts, outdoor education, songs, sports, aquatics, team building or science
- Ability to monitor all waterfront field trip and activities
- Ability to lead in group activities and to perform related physical skills
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents, and the physical ability to act swiftly in emergency situations
- Ability to adequately observe participant activities, enforce safety regulations and apply appropriate policies and procedures