The Clorox Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Technician/Sr. Technician R&D
at The Clorox Company
The Clorox Company (NYSE: CLX) is a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products with about 8,000 employees worldwide and fiscal year 2016 sales of $5.8 billion. Clorox markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names, including its namesake bleach and cleaning products; Pine-Sol® cleaners; Liquid Plumr® clog removers; Poett® home care products; Fresh Step® cat litter; Glad® bags, wraps and containers; Kingsford® charcoal; Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces; Brita® water-filtration products; Burt's Bees® natural personal care products; and Renew Life® digestive health products. The company also markets brands for professional services, including Clorox Healthcare® and Clorox Commercial Solutions®. More than 80 percent of the company's sales are generated from brands that hold the No. 1 or No. 2 market share positions in their categories.
Research & Development: The Research & Development organization takes new generations of consumer products from concept to reality. With such diverse roles as engineers, scientists, mechanical designers and packaging experts, R&D is a community of technical leaders and managers actively involved in virtually every step in the lifecycle of our products?--?from initial concept to raw materials to final goods on store shelves. R&D is committed to leveraging the latest technology to bring consumers the high-quality, innovative products they expect and deserve
The Clorox Company has an opportunity in the Advanced Measurement Sciences (AMS) -- Analytical Group at our Research and Development Center in Pleasanton, California for an experienced chemist (Technician-Senior Technician). As a Technician-Senior Technician in the AMS -- Analytical group, you will be part of a team growing numerous brands across the Clorox portfolio, including Burt's Bees, Kingsford, Hidden Valley, Pine-Sol, Brita and others. Through collaboration with Scientists in the group and inter-functionally between groups, you will look to help create over $150MM of value per year. Daily responsibilities include product and material analysis, method development and data analysis. You will work closely with Scientists to provide reports, identify issues and recommend next steps based on experimentation. You will also have the opportunity to take on non-project specific initiatives within the department to increase the knowledge base and functionality of the group as a whole. We will work with you to develop your career objectives.
We prefer someone with direct hands-on experience and expertise with:
- Responsibility for analytical instrument method development, maintenance, supplies, repairs, purchases, and analyses, for various project teams.
- Various wet chemistry techniques including standard sample preparation methodologies such as accurate weighing, pipetting, centrifugation, lyophilization, or characterization and processing methodologies such as pH adjustment, titration, dilution, moisture content, extraction, or drying; expertise in the preparation and use of calibration standards and controls.
- Spectroscopy techniques such as with UV/VIS, fluorescence, or FTIR instrumentation.
- Working in a regulated lab environment such as GLP, GMP, and with EPA/FDA GLP or GMP method validation.
- Preferably, experience with various chromatography instruments (LC, LCMS, GC, and GCMS), detectors, software programs, and related techniques for compound identification and quantitation.
- Experience in analyzing a variety of raw materials, process intermediates, and finished products in the following consumer goods industries is highly desired: Personal care and cosmetic products, household and cleaning products, foods, charcoal, litter, and water filtration.
- Demonstrated experimental design and statistical analysis. Ability to summarize and report analytical results, perform trend analysis, and implement corrective action as needed.
- Strong willingness and aptitude to learn and master new tools and skills.
- Experience in working collaboratively with multi-functional teams in a fast paced environment, and in providing guidance/training for others on routine assignments.
- Ability to multi-task and manage work efforts on multiple projects according to assigned priorities.
- Knowledge and application of statistics and related methodologies (DOE) are desired.
- Excellent adherence to lab and chemical safety requirements, company documentation policies, and a strong demonstrated work ethic.
Key Responsibilities (in descending order of importance):
- Accurately follow assay and safety procedures, and SOPs.
- Perform reliable sample preparation and analytical testing in the lab using various analytical chemistry techniques.
- Optimize sample preparation and analytical methodologies as needed.
- Operate related equipment and software under peak performance and safety conditions.
- Maintain equipment and software, upgrading and making purchase recommendations for new capabilities as necessary.
- Process and report analytical data using instrument software, DOE software, Microsoft Excel, Word, and/or PowerPoint. Knowledge of Outlook and SharePoint preferred.
- Accurately and promptly instrument log data and lab activities in log or lab notebooks.
- Present data to project team members and management: The ability to communicate plans and explain results is a must. Well-developed writing and speaking skills are required.
- Participate in general lab management for the wet chemistry lab such as in maintaining an organized, clean and safe lab environment/workspace, ordering supplies, maintaining or repairing instrumentation, performing calibrations, keeping instrument, and chemical inventory records.
Years and Type of Experience:
- 3-5+ years' experience working in an analytical chemistry lab in a consumer goods, chemicals, crop protection, pharmaceutical company, or contract research organization.
- B.Sc. in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or related field.
Please note: Senior Technicians will be considered based on experience and technical depth and the position may be graded as such.