The Clorox Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Payroll Accountant
at The Clorox Company
The Clorox Company (NYSE: CLX) is a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products with about 7,900 employees worldwide and fiscal year 2017 sales of $6.0 billion. Clorox markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names, including its namesake bleach and cleaning products; Pine-Sol® cleaners; Liquid Plumr® clog removers; Poett® home care products; Fresh Step® cat litter; Glad® bags, wraps and containers; Kingsford® charcoal; Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces; Brita® water-filtration products; Burt's Bees® natural personal care products; and Renew Life® digestive health products. The company also markets brands for professional services, including Clorox Healthcare® and Clorox Commercial Solutions®. More than 80 percent of the company's sales are generated from brands that hold the No. 1 or No. 2 market share positions in their categories.
Accounting and Reconciliations:
- Manage monthly and quarterly closing of financial records, including preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations for multiple general ledger accounts including cash, payroll receivable and tax withholding accountsf
- Review, prepare and analyze payroll accounting transactions and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness, and provide variance explanations
- Ensuring accurate accounting and timely completion of required payroll transactions
- Identify process improvement initiatives and define standards for new processes
- Provide payroll wage and vacation accruals estimates to Finance on monthly basis
- Establish and maintain appropriate internal controls, ensure GAAP and SOX compliance in areas of responsibility
- Own self-assessment process for payroll including providing documentation and write-up of necessary supporting documentation
- Coordinate the completion of external auditor requests for quarterly and year-end testing and work with Financial Reporting Controls on maintenance and updates of control matrix and testing, etc.
- Develop and support recommendations to strengthen related to Payroll Tax and control measurements within the department
Reporting and Other:
- Run system reports, design ad hoc reports and queries for payroll, financial and management reporting needs.
- Own escheatment process with external consultant and tax department
- Lead and participate in special projects and tasks as assigned
- Support payroll team with trouble shooting and back up payroll functions when needed
- Ensure all processes and procedures are documented and maintained/updated in Knowledge Management tool to ensure ongoing continuity of business operations
- Record and track payroll tax credits and refunds
- Collaborate on process and system improvements with ADP
Years and Type of Experience:
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience
- Large, multi-state, multi-employer based payroll system experience
- Excellent technical knowledge of general ledger accounting and payroll processes
- ADP Enterprise, SAP-FI and/or Workday experience preferred
- Experience working with process improvements
- Knowledge of SOX requirements
- Excellent PC skills (Word, Project, Power Point, Access, etc.); advanced Excel skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Experience with Six Sigma process or other process improvement methodology/ experience a plus
Skills and Abilities:
Strong Planning and Organization skills able to handle multiple priorities and deadlines
Excellent analytical, written and verbal communication skills
Detail oriented and ability to independently problem solve
Initiative and proactive attitude to drive process improvement
- Adaptable to flex and change as business needs and priorities change
- Associate's degree in accounting/finance or business administration. A Bachelor's degree is strongly preferred.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or other designation preferred