The Clorox Company
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Digital & Technology Director
at The Clorox Company
The Clorox Company (NYSE: CLX) is a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products with about 8,000 employees worldwide and fiscal year 2016 sales of $5.8 billion. Clorox markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names, including its namesake bleach and cleaning products; Pine-Sol® cleaners; Liquid Plumr® clog removers; Poett® home care products; Fresh Step® cat litter; Glad® bags, wraps and containers; Kingsford® charcoal; Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces; Brita® water-filtration products; Burt's Bees® natural personal care products; and Renew Life® digestive health products. The company also markets brands for professional services, including Clorox Healthcare® and Clorox Commercial Solutions®. More than 80 percent of the company's sales are generated from brands that hold the No. 1 or No. 2 market share positions in their categories.
The Digital & Technology Director is responsible for the overall quality, performance and security of digital product experiences produced and maintained by the internal Agency. They must deftly supervise overall administrative and strategic direction of their teams. As the company builds its transformation agenda to become a digital enterprise, this role will play a part in helping Digital COEs, SMEs, and SRM build digital fluency across the function by advocating for the needs and interests of the consumer in the creation and optimization of digital products and experiences. As such, they possess a nuanced understanding of the technology and process involved in creating digital consumer products and experiences and can uniquely synthesize and translate opportunities, effects and implications to business partners and stakeholders that have little or no technical fluency. The technology lead plays a connective role between the internal Agency and IT, forging new engagement with IT partners to coordinate and integrate Agency technology with enterprise systems. With this expertise, they help provide translation, advice and counsel throughout marketing on technologies, vendors and approaches.
- Leads the internal agency function to mature, standardize and operationalize web dev, digital production and data security practices across brands to deliver seamless consumer experiences with technical effectiveness and efficiency.
- Partners with Managing Senior Director to establish reasonable Agency scope, revenue and technical expense goals.
- Builds and maintains strong, productive relationships with senior stakeholders and is perceived by internal clients as a valuable partner in achieving their business & marketing goals.
- Garners the confidence and respect associated with a technical leader. Establishes effective working relationships with Agency senior leaders.
- Creates actionable development plans for direct reports accompanied by effective ongoing dialogue with team members.
Other Scope Factors:
- Reports to Senior Managing Director -- Clorox Agency, and sits on the Clorox Agency Leadership Team.
- Has 3-4 direct reports including Technical Group manager, Architecture lead, User experience lead, software planning and delivery lead (although org design may change affecting # of direct reports)
Oversees and provides work direction to a team of 25 Clorox employees and contractors
Years and Type of Experience:
- 15+ years leading cross-functional project and/or digital product development teams.
- 3-4 years in an organizational design and leadership role.
- Experience with a diverse set of technologies and technical contexts.
Skills and Abilities
- Superstar: Candidates currently in technical leadership positions at agencies or digitally-forward consumer companies.
- Passion: Go-getter with the relentless pursuit of excellence in a competitive, changing landscape.
- Digital experience: Able to martial teams of diverse talents to deliver excellent digital experiences for users.
- Leadership: Proven track record establishing standards of technical excellence, and defining roadmaps, workflows and process to deliver work that meets or exceeds them.
- Versatile and Savvy: Enjoys a blend of digital experiences. Has experience leading software development for web & mobile, and experience or familiarity with topics such as behavioral analytics, CRM, video, social, APIs, embedded systems/IoT, data science, privacy & security.
- Prudent: Has experience with managing the time and cost associated with technical output.
- Motivation: Strong relationship building and communications skills, able to balance demanding client needs while simultaneously motivating technical teams to do great work.
- People: Fits Clorox's temperament of being likeable and approachable. Exhibits strong interpersonal skills that encourage team cooperation, promote enthusiasm and motivate relationship-building.
- Bachelor Degree