Tandem Diabetes Care, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr. Project Manager-Mobile App
at Tandem Diabetes Care, Inc.
What you’ll be doing:
The Sr. Project Manager (PM) will support Tandem’s mobile app development for both iOS and Android. This position leads cross-functional core teams and manages software and/or system projects through Tandem’s product development process, with the main goal of developing and delivering new medical device products to market. In order to be successful, the candidate must be familiar with the development and release process of mobile applications, as well as experience working with teams that create safety critical products.
The Sr. Project Manager is expected to exemplify the program management function and capabilities within Tandem. Key elements of the function would include: execution in a phase gate process that defines development team deliverables throughout the product life cycle, lead/participate Scrum meetings, establish and drive the team’s project plan and schedule with clearly defined core team roles and responsibilities, establish project metrics, execute PM responsibilities as defined by our Design Control procedures. The Sr. Project Manager is also expected to lead or participate in product development continuous improvement projects led by the PMO.
Who we are:
Here at Tandem, Diabetes is all we do and we are dedicated to making the lives of people with diabetes better and better, through relentless innovation. “In Tandem” means together, and we strive to embody that in every aspect of our business. We believe that working in tandem, not in isolation, is the best way to continually exceed expectations.
We’ve have been named one of the fastest growing insulin pump companies in the U.S! Why? Designed, assembled and supported from our San Diego, CA headquarters, Tandem has created the simple-to-use t:slim X2 Insulin Pump, which is the smallest pump available, the only color touch-screen insulin pump capable of remote feature updates, and the first CGM-enabled pump approved to let users make treatment decisions without pricking their finger.
Read more about our company & culture here: https://www.tandemdiabetes.com/careers/life-at-tandem and see what our customers are saying here: #tsliminthewild
What you need for this position:
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides project management expertise and leadership to a multi-functional core team from Concept through Commercialization following Tandem’s standard process for product development and/or Design change; ensures implementation and compliance to Design Control procedures and improvements of systems, procedures and documentation.
- Plans and directs all aspects of software/systems projects. Establishes project plans and objectives, develops project cost analysis, establishes and manages the project schedule and budget, manages resources, tracks progress and provides updates to management. Works closely with the Program Office, Project Managers, and functional heads to resolve resource allocation issues, conflicts, and priorities and to ensure projects are staffed appropriately, completed on time, and within budget constraints. Ensures efficient transfer of product from R&D to manufacturing and external marketing.
- Leads/participates in process improvement initiatives related to product development, resource management and allocation, design controls, and other areas that impact cycle time, efficiencies, and compliance in medical device product development
- Communicates and presents regular and timely project status updates to various levels of the organization including the executive management team.
- As necessary, performs other duties as required to support the PMO.
- Ensures compliance with company policies, including Privacy/HIPAA, and other legal and regulatory requirements.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- 5 plus years’ directly related experience in managing projects in FDA-regulated and ISO 14971 certified industry
- 5 plus years’ experience in the medical device industry and compliance to internal Quality Systems
- Experience in managing projects from inception to post-market sustaining using a phase-gate methodology
- Knowledge and experience in the implementation of regulatory requirements for medical device development such as FDA’s Design Controls, ISO’s Risk Management and Medical Device standards, ISO Software Development standards (e.g. IEC 62304)
- Knowledge of agile/scrum development methodology
- Strong understanding of engineering principles, theories and concepts
- Certificate in Project Management, preferred
- Scrum Certification a plus
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work in matrixed environment, establishing a sphere of influence with both the functional and vertical organizations
- Ability to drive cultural change through implementation of best practices in project teams
- Ability to communicate and influence up in order to manage project scope and resources
- Ability to keep project teams focused, motivated, creatively work to keep the projects on schedule
- Proficient in the use of Project Management Tools for planning, work breakdown, scheduling, task estimation, and collaboration
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills:
- Excel: Forms, Formulas, Functions, Pivot Tables, & Graphs
- PowerPoint: Graphics & Animation
- MS-Project: Resource loading, tracking
- ECO writing/review
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with persons contacted in the course of performing assigned duties including Company management and outside business associates
- Ability to interact with executive management on a regular basis
- Ability to represent Tandem at professional and business functions in a competent manner
- Excellent advocacy and persuasive skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Ability to organize and prioritize workflow and to meet established timeframes
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to maintain updated knowledge of products, procedures and of changes within the medical device industry.
- Ability to provide feedback and suggestions for improvement on the Product Development Process.
- Ability to assess a problem quickly and determine to what level it should be elevated, directing staff/customers to the correct person(s)
Minimum certifications/educational level:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent training, MBA Preferred
- Certificate in Project Management (PMP) and/or Portfolio Management (PPMC) preferred
- A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization.
- Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways, demonstrating good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Normally receives little instruction on day-to-day work, general instruction on new assignments.
What’s in it for you?
We’ve got you covered. We offer a robust benefits package to support your health and your family. From medical, dental, and vision, to flexible spending accounts for both health and dependent care – Tandem’s got you covered!
Stay well with us. Enjoy the outdoors during your workday by biking, running, or walking on one of our nearby trails. Or check out our offsite gym, which boasts luxurious amenities including specialty fitness classes and state-of-the-art equipment.
Invest in your career. Tandem offers all employees access to training and development programs and courses to help keep your career and skillset updated, not outdated.
Live your life. Relax with 20 days of paid time off and celebrate 10 paid holidays in your first year. Save for your future with a company-provided 401(k) plan. Look forward to saving money on tickets to the San Diego Zoo, movies, restaurants, and so much more with our exclusive employee discount program.
Celebrate in Tandem. Join in monthly employee get-togethers, tacos for Cinco de Mayo, corned beef for St. Patrick’s Day, costume-contest for Halloween, and the annual JDRF walk.
If you are applying for this job and live in California, please read Tandem’s CCPA Notice: