Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Agricultural and Standards Inspector (Including Canine Handler Special Skills Class)
- The Position
- This is a continuous filing exam. The filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:
04/10/19, 06/12/19, 08/14/19, 10/16/19, 12/18/19
Senior Agricultural and Standards Inspectors perform the most difficult, complex, and/or sensitive assignments related to agricultural and weights and measures inspections, and are expected to possess a high degree of proficiency, knowledge, and expertise. As a secondary assignment, positions in this class provide technical assistance and training to other agricultural and weights and measures staff.
NOTE: Our current position requires a Canine Handler Certificate. A Canine Handler performs inspections of agricultural crops; products; measuring devices; pesticide use; and works directly with a dog that has been specially trained to alert on marked and unmarked parcels containing agricultural products. These parcels are shipped through carriers such as: UPS, FedEx, OnTrac, US Postal Service, and similar carriers throughout the greater Sacramento area. Targeted parcels are further inspected to determine if there are plant pests that may pose a threat to agriculture or the environment.
- Examples of Knowledge and Abilities
- Principles and practices of leadership, mentoring, and training
- Applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations
- Operational characteristics, services, and activities of assigned programs and functions
- Principles of entomology, plant pathology and botany in relation to the control and quarantine of agricultural pests
- Pesticides and their effects on the environment
- Diseases and other defects of fruit, vegetables, nuts, and eggs
- Arithmetic and basic statistical methods and analysis
- Principles, procedures, and practices of investigative techniques
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and other specialized applications related to area of assignment
- English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Lead and train staff
- Plan, coordinate, assign, and review the work of staff; provide work direction and instruction
- Research and evaluate work problems, and recommend solutions
- Develop and maintain cooperative, effective working relationships with others; respond effectively and tactfully to hostility, confusion or concerns expressed by others
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Interpret, apply, and enforce applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations in an impartial manner
- Collect, compile, and analyze a variety of data and information; make statistical inferences
- Apply customer service skills, including the identification of customer needs and follow up to ensure customer commitments
- Ability to prepare technical and statistical written documents in a clear, concise, and organized manner that is understandable to others
- Make effective presentations to and respond to questions from various groups, including boards, committees, and the public
- Employment Qualifications
Two years of full-time, paid experience enforcing agricultural and/or weights and measures laws and regulations, or agricultural pest detection or control;
ANDPossession of all eight of the following licenses issued by the State of California Department of Food and Agriculture:
1. Pesticide Regulation
2. Investigation and Environmental Monitoring
3. Integrated Pest Management
4. Commodity Regulation
5. Pest Prevention and Plant Regulation
6. Weight Verification
7. Measurement Verification
8. Transaction and Product Verification
Note: The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.
Note: If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the final filing date listed in this notice.
Background/Criminal History: The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The County may also conduct a background check on the candidate prior to appointment to a position within this class. The background check may include personal and professional reference checks, credit history checks, Social Security Number verification, professional license/registration verification, military service information and driving history. Information obtained in the course of this background check will be considered by the appointing authority in the selection process. In obtaining such information, the County will comply with applicable consent and disclosure practices in the Fair Credit Reporting Act and the California Investigative Consumer Reporting Agencies Act.
Driver's License: A valid California Driver License, Class C or higher, may be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain the appropriate California Driver License may constitute cause for personnel action in accordance with Civil Service Rules or applicable bargaining agreement. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Physical Abilities: Some positions in this class require the incumbent to be able to:
- perform a wide variety of physical tasks such as standing for long periods of time; walking long distances; stooping; stretching; bending; climbing stairs; and lifting items weighing up to fifty (50) pounds.
- differentiate between colors at a level necessary to identify various insects and weeds.
Working Conditions: Some positions in this class require the incumbent to:
- work in all types of weather conditions.
- travel in an assigned area.
- work weekends, holidays, and non-routine hours.
Canine Handler Special Skill: Some positions in this class require specific knowledge and abilities to perform the responsibilities of a Canine Handler. To be eligible for a Canine Handler designated position, the applicant must have obtained a certificate of completion from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) for their 10 week Basic Canine Handler Training, Cargo/Postal prior to appointment.
Where required, this special skill may be used to ensure that the canine receives proper nutrition, grooming, training, medical care, maintenance exercise, affection and acceptable and sanitary living conditions. The Civil Service Commission approved the use of selective certification for this special skill on May 21, 2010.
The probationary period for this classification is six (6) months.
- Application and Testing Information
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.
County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.
Note: Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed, therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs: