Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Registered Veterinary Technician *Revised
- The Position
This is a limited continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:
11/6/20, 11/20/20, 12/4/20*, 12/18/20* (final)
Registered Veterinary Technician assists the veterinarian in performing surgeries and performs other animal health care tasks in support of the animal hospital at the County Animal Shelter. Incumbents in this class may perform other duties involved in the care and feeding of animals at the County Animal Shelter.
- Examples of Knowledge and Abilities
- Aseptic surgical techniques, animal care and husbandry
- Anesthesia techniques
- Sterilization and surgical pack preparation procedures
- Disease symptoms of domestic animals
- Euthanasia techniques
- Procedures to perform prophylactic evaluations, cleanings, and uncomplicated tooth extractions
- Procedures used to control and administer pharmaceuticals
- State and local codes, ordinances and regulations governing quarantine, impounding, care, and disposal of animals
- Prepare animals for surgery, assist with surgery, and care for animals post-surgery
- Induce and monitor animals given anesthesia
- Sterilize equipment used in the animal hospital
- Identify normal and abnormal animal behavior and symptoms of rabies and other animal disorders
- Euthanize animals
- Control and safely handle pharmaceuticals used in the care and handling of animals and disinfectants in the cleaning and disinfecting of animal habitats
- Microchip animals
- Perform prophylactic evaluations, cleanings, and uncomplicated tooth extractions
- Read, interpret, and apply applicable rules, regulations, codes, laws and ordinances governing the control and humane treatment of animals
- Use a computer to prepare and maintain written records
- Speak English and communicate clearly, confidently and persuasively to a variety of audiences from different socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
- Explain legal requirements accurately and tactfully
- Maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, County constituents, and animal welfare organizations
- Employment Qualifications
Registration as a Registered Veterinary Technician by the California Board of Examiners in Veterinary Medicine.
ANDSix months of experience assisting a licensed veterinarian in providing medical treatment to animals, including surgical procedures and medical examinations, in a veterinary hospital or shelter clinic setting.
Note: Failure to complete any required continuing education units and to maintain this registration in good standing may constitute cause for termination in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.
Note: If the word “experience” is referenced in the minimum qualifications, it means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.
Note: If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.
A valid Driver’s License, Class C or higher, is required prior to appointment to this class. Failure to maintain the appropriate California Driver’s License may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Note: Failure to maintain a Driver’s License, Class C or higher, may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.
Incumbents in this class may be required to obtain and maintain Drug Enforcement Administration licensure.
Note: If required, failure to obtain and maintain this license is cause for termination in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.
- Lift 20 to 40 pounds without assistance and occasionally lift greater weights with assistance
Individuals who are unable to pass physical requirements due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Exposure to infectious, poisonous and threatening animals
- Work outdoors in all types of weather conditions and in unsanitary environments
- Work in and around animal fur, dander and excrement
- Work holidays, shifts, and weekends, fluctuating hours and after hour call-outs
- Exposure to chemicals
- Wear a uniform that conforms to departmental standards
The County may access criminal history information on all candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-602, Personnel Policies and Procedure B-5 and applicable Federal and State law. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to or impacts the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The probationary period for this classification is six (6) months.
- Application and Testing Information
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.
County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.
Note: Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed, therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs: