Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Human Services Program Planner
- The Position
There is an additional 3.35% Management Differential which is added to the posted salary for this class.
This is a continuous filing exam. Next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on: 7/1/19, 10/1/19, 1/2/20, 4/1/20
Range A - $6,921.72 - $8,412.92/month
Range B - $8,371.17 - $9,230.70/month
Under direction, a Human Services Program Planner performs analytical, evaluative, coordinative and/or conceptual staff work in the planning, development and/or administration of human services programs; and to perform related duties as assigned. These positions are located primarily within the Department of Health Services, Department of Child, Family and Adult Services, Department of Human Assistance, and First 5 Sacramento Commission.
Human Services Program Planner is an advanced journey-level class performing research, planning, development and evaluation of human services programs. This class has two salary ranges that recognize the differences in scope, scale and complexity of the planner's program area(s).
- Examples of Knowledge and Abilities
- Principles, methods & techniques of community organization & development, program planning and design, grant writing, budget development, and program evaluation
- Economic & social service needs of disadvantaged, ethnic & cultural groups
- Theories, principles, goals & objectives of public social services
- Laws, rules and regulations governing assigned program areas
- Available community resources
- Relationships among governments, public and private community organizations and groups, and private enterprise in the county
- Apply social service planning principles and techniques to problems and issues
- Build coalitions among groups with differing needs and objectives
- Plan and evaluate social service programs
- Research, analyze and evaluate data and information and make recommendations
- Effectively write complex documents including grants, proposals, budgets and reports
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with a wide range of individuals and groups
- Facilitate meetings and make group presentations
- Employment Qualifications
A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in social work, psychology, public health, health sciences or a closely related field such as life sciences or physical sciences, or in a management field such as public administration or business administration; for some positions, a Master's degree may be preferred;
AndThree years of professional and/or supervisory experience in program coordination, planning, development and/or evaluation.
- 1. Supervisory experience means "having authority to hire, transfer, suspend, layoff, recall, promote or discharge other employees, or to effectively recommend such action..."
- 2. Individuals possessing experience in Sacramento County job classes containing "Supervisor" in their title, such as Human Services Supervisor, are deemed to meet the minimum qualifications as above only if their duties include active supervision of staff.
Note: The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.
Note: If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.
Driver's License: A valid California Class C Driver's License may be required at the time of appointment. Failure to obtain or maintain such required license(s) may be cause for disciplinary action in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to a physical disability will be considered for accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
Child and Elder Abuse Reporting: Persons selected for employment must as a condition of employment sign a statement agreeing to comply with Section 11166 of the California Penal Code relating to child and elder abuse reporting.
Criminal History Check: The County may access criminal history information on candidates who have accepted a conditional offer of appointment for this class consistent with the provisions of the Board of Supervisors Resolution No. 82-0602, Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5, and applicable federal and state laws. The County shall not consider for employment any candidate who has been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor that relates to, or impacts, the candidate's ability to perform the job duties of this class unless it is determined that mitigating circumstances exist. For purposes of accessing criminal history information, the candidate will be fingerprinted. A subsequent arrest notification may be obtained.
The probationary period for this classification is twelve (12) months.
- Application and Testing Information
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.
County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.
Note: Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed, therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs: