Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Collection Equipment Operator
- The Position
This is a continuous filing exam. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:
The Collection Equipment Operator operates two or three-axle refuse collection or recycling vehicles and delivers and unloads refuse and/or recyclables at designated disposal facilities.
Some positions in this classification are temporary and part-time only (intermittent). The positions are intended to facilitate the accomplishment of seasonal workload requirements. Please click here for more information on intermittent employment.
- Examples of Knowledge and Abilities
- Proper methods of lifting and carrying heavy loads
- Procedures and policies pertaining to refuse and other source separated recyclable material collection and disposal
- Heavy duty truck and equipment operation
- Safety rules and regulations pertaining to refuse and other recyclable material collection and equipment operation
- Operate two and three-axle trucks including equipment with dual drive
- Perform heavy manual labor for extended periods under all types of climatic conditions
- Speak, read and write English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
- Instruct assigned staff of improper work methods
- Keep route records current
- Submit basic written reports when required
- Maintain good relationships with co-workers and the public
- Employment Qualifications
Either: 1. One year of full-time experience in the class of Sanitation Worker in Sacramento County service
Or: 2. One year of full-time experience in the operation of a two or three-axle vehicle with a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) of 30,000 lbs. or more.
Note: The word "experience" referenced in the minimum qualifications means full-time paid experience unless the minimum qualification states that volunteer experience is acceptable. Part-time paid experience may be accumulated and pro-rated to meet the total experience requirements.
Driver's License: Possession of a valid California Driver's License, Class B or higher, is required.
Note: Failure to maintain a valid California Driver's License, Class B or higher, constitutes cause for termination from the class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4.
The probationary period for this classification is six (6) months.
- Application and Testing Information
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.
County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.
Note: Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed, therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs: