Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Building Security Attendant
- The Position
- This is a continuous filing exam. The next filing cut-offs are at 5:00 pm on:
3/29/19, 7/26/19, 11/27/19
Building Security Attendant is a journey-level class. Incumbents perform a variety of patrol and stationary security functions such as monitoring access to County facilities, facilitating energy conservation efforts, monitoring and activating/deactivating alarms, responding to alarms/events, and observing and reporting facility safety and health hazards. Building Security Attendants are unarmed, uniformed personnel who are licensed guards, carry non-lethal defensive weapons, and are trained in first aid and CPR. Incumbents provide security for facilities through trained and informed observation of facility infrastructure that promotes the health, safety and general welfare of County employees and members of the public.
Note - The following five (5) valid certificates/licenses are required at the time of application:
- Guard Card
- Pepper Spray
- First Aid
- Examples of Knowledge and Abilities
- Common procedures and methods associated with providing public security
- Methods and techniques to prepare incident reports, etc.
- Proper operation of communication equipment such as two-way radios, pagers and cell phones
- Safety procedures related to using security equipment and tools including non-lethal defensive weapons (pepper spray and baton)
- Basic first aid and CPR
- A variety of computer software applications such as word processing, security information and facility monitoring systems, and e-mail
- Respond quickly and appropriately in an emergency
- Speak, read, and write English at a level necessary for satisfactory job performance
- Report emergencies by telephone, two-way or radio, or other communication device
- Keep work records and prepare reports
- Provide basic first aid and CPR
- Use computer equipment to enter, maintain and extract information
- Employment Qualifications
Candidates must possess:
- A valid Security Guard License issued by the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Service
- Permit/certification for non-lethal defensive weapons (pepper spray) issued by the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Service
- Permit/certification for non-lethal defensive weapons (baton) issued by the State of California, Department of Consumer Affairs, Bureau of Security and Investigative Service
- CPR certificate from an authorized agency
- First Aid certificate from an authorized agency
Note: Failure to maintain the Security Guard License, the permits/certifications for the non-lethal defensive weapons (pepper spray and baton), the CPR certificate, or the First Aid certificate may constitute cause for termination from this class.
Note: If the minimum qualifications include an educational or certificate/license requirement, applicants must submit proof of requirements with the application. Failure to submit proof of requirements may result in disqualification from the examination. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable. For guidelines on submitting acceptable proof of educational requirements, please click here or speak to someone in our office before the cut-off date listed in this notice.
A valid California Driver's License, Class C or higher will be required prior to appointment to this class. Failure to maintain the appropriate driver's license may constitute cause for termination from this class in accordance with Civil Service Rule 11.4. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Incumbents are required to wear a designated uniform.
- Demonstrate color vision sufficient to distinguish colors in order to describe events in an accurate manner
- Have normal (or corrected to normal) sense of vision in order to operate a vehicle safely and perform other duties of this class
- Have normal (or corrected to normal) sense of hearing in order to operate communication equipment required for this class
- Walk, climb stairs, and stand for long periods of time
- Physical strength and agility to use defensive non-lethal weapons and to escort an individual from a facility
- Work outside in all types of climatic conditions including inclement and very hot weather
- Work alone for extended periods of time
Shift, Weekend and Holiday Work:
All employees in this class will be subject to working shifts, weekends, holidays, overtime and standby.
Criminal History and Background Check:
Candidates will need to pass a security clearance investigation conducted by the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department, or other agency designated by the department in accordance with Sacramento County Personnel Policies and Procedures B-5. Failure to maintain the ability to pass such security clearance investigation may constitute cause for termination.
The probationary period for this classification is six (6) months.
- Application and Testing Information
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. All applicants must complete and submit an online County of Sacramento employment application by 5:00 PM on the posted cut-off date. Click here to apply.
County of Sacramento
Department of Personnel Services
Employment Services Division
700 H Street, Room 4667
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone (916) 874-5593; 7-1-1 California Relay Service
Inter-Office Mail Code: 09-4667
- Employment applications and all documentation requested in this announcement must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- Your application should highlight all relevant education, training, and experience, and clearly indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications for the position as of the cut-off date.
- Application information must be current, concise and related to the requirements in this job announcement. You may only apply for this recruitment once. Duplicate and incomplete applications will be disqualified.
- A resume may be included with your application, however it will not substitute for the information requested on the application.
Applicants are required to provide a full and complete response to each supplemental question. The Supplemental Questionnaire is located in the tab marked "Supplemental Questions". Please be descriptive in your response.
Note: Responses of "See Resume" or "See Application", or copy and paste of work experience are not qualifying responses and will not be considered.
- Supplemental Questionnaires must be submitted by 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date. Employment Services is not responsible for any issues or delays caused by an applicant's computer or web browser. Applicants will be automatically logged out if they have not submitted their applications and all documentation prior to 5:00 p.m. on the cut-off date.
- The supplemental questions are designed to elicit specific information regarding a candidate's experience, education, and training. Responses should be consistent with the information on your application and are subject to verification.
- Please provide place of employment, pertinent dates, and concise, descriptive and detailed information for each question.
- If a job included responsibilities applicable to several questions, separate the different functions of the job to answer all the questions completely.
- Resumes or referral to the application or other questionnaire responses will not be accepted in lieu of completing each question.
- If you have no experience, write "no experience" for the appropriate question.
- For many individuals, it is more efficient to develop responses to the supplemental questions in a word processing document and then paste them into the final document to be submitted. Changes or corrections to your Supplemental Questionnaire cannot be made once your application packet has been submitted.
- If the Supplemental Questionnaire is used in the Formula Rate exam, failure to complete all of the questions or incomplete responses will result in a lower score. While scoring the Supplemental Questionnaire, the candidate's application and/or attachments will not be reviewed, therefore, a candidate's responses to the questions should be accurate, thorough, detailed, and complete.
FORMULA RATE EXAMINATION (Weighted 100%)
All candidates meeting the minimum qualifications by the cut-off date will have their Supplemental Questionnaire scored in the Formula Rate Examination.
This examination will evaluate the relevance, level, recency, progression and quality of candidate's education, training and experience. The candidate's application or other materials will not be included in this examination. Therefore, the candidate's responses to the supplemental questionnaire should be thorough, detailed and complete. The score from the Formula Rate Examination will determine the ranking on the eligible/employment list for this job.
All candidates competing in the testing process will receive written notice of their examination results by email. Notices can also be accessed in their governmentjobs.com inbox. Applicants achieving a passing score will be placed on the eligible list in rank order. The rank is determined by the test score attained from the examination.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
For information regarding County jobs: