San Ysidro Health Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at San Ysidro Health Center
Full time - Regular
Manages activities of the Health Information Services department related to the development, implementation and maintenance of health information in compliance with federal and state laws and generally accepted HIS best practices. Oversees activities related to document storage, imaging, forms management, coding and release of information. Provides input related to HIS operations and employee development.
Essential Functions of the Job
- Monitors and implements policies and procedures for the maintenance of health information.
- Interprets and complies with all applicable state regulations and accreditation standards.
- Supervises health information staff and department operations by planning/developing, assigning, coordinating, and reviewing work of staff.
- Hires new staff, conducts orientation, and ensures staff development by conducting in-service training programs.
- Monitors clinics for compliance with adopted standards, policies, and procedures.
- Retrieves and analyzes statistical data from records for reports, audits and reviews.
- Coordinates approval of new and existing forms as the Chair of the Forms Committee working with various clinic departments.
- Interprets and communicates laws and regulations pertaining to medical records and staff.
- Oversees health information operations/ functions and related areas.
- Ensures timely and accurate coding and abstracting of health information in support of required analytical state reporting and billing requirements.
- Supports and develops the electronic medical records system for use by clinical services personnel for the healthcare facility.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Keeps abreast of all regulations and standards to ensure compliance with orders or directives issued by duly constituted government/regulatory agencies.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required and participates on committees as directed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- A current valid certificate as a Registered Health Information Administrator/Technician (RHIA or RHIT), issued by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA).
- Preferred: Bachelor's degree
- CPC Certification
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a health information/medical records department in a large clinic setting, medical records department, vital records department, or long term care facility analyzing charts, coding/abstracting, developing, interpreting, and implementing policies/procedures, processing subpoenas, and release of information. Experience must be within the last three years.
- Preferred: 7 years
- Supervisory Experience: At Least 3 years
- Preferred: 5 years
Verbal and Written Skills Required to Perform the Job:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Technical Knowledge and Skills Required to Perform the Job:
- Principles and practices of supervision and training
- Confidentiality and patients' rights
- Quality assurance standards
- ICD-10CM, CPT's and HCPCS codes
- Health Information computer applications
- Automated information systems and computer applications
- Records storage, retrieval and filing systems technologies
- Current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) and the International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (ICD)