County of San Mateo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Perioperative-Radiology Sedation Nurse-Extra Help (Open)
at County of San Mateo
- Seeking experienced Perioperative-Radiology Sedation Nurse for Extra Help in the Radiology Department of San Mateo Medical Center, part of San Mateo County Health! Please note this position is not intended for Nurse Graduates. Critical Care/sedation Experience is preferred for sedation position in Radiology.
Through growth and change, the San Mateo Medical Center remains committed to providing quality medical care to meet the health needs of the community. Our commitment is to provide quality care with a compassionate touch and we strive to help you maintain a balance between work and family. San Mateo Medical Center, a 509-bed integrated care facility, has been providing healthcare to our community and surrounding service area since 1930.
We are currently seeking one motivated and experienced Perioperative Nurse for our state-of-the art Radiology Department, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM. Extended time is often needed. Under supervision, the Radiology Sedation Nurse will perform specialized professional nursing duties in assisting Radiologists in various procedure areas. PACU Nurses will take care of patients after procedure in Recovery. You will act as a sedation nurse and also do some circulating. You will follow and carry out established hospital and Radiology procedures through the proper identifying and handling and use of instruments, supplies and equipment. You will communicate with surgeons, physicians, nurses and other staff in carrying out specialized duties. Nature of work requires sustained physical effort, including considerable standing and walking, considerable adeptness in the use of fingers and hands when assisting surgeons.
The ideal candidate has a minimum of three years of experience in either the Operating Room/Recovery Room/ and sedation areas of an acute care hospital assessing patient's condition before, during, and after operations; performing scrubbing and circulating duties; working directly with surgeons; identifying and handling instruments; providing information to enable patients to make informed decisions regarding surgical care and treatment; scheduling; and has extensive knowledge of procedures. Availability to take on-call as assigned and possession of a Certified Nurse Operating Room (CNOR) certificate is strongly preferred.
Note: The extra-help vacancy is an at-will assignment, paid on an hourly basis. Some extra help positions are eligible for benefits under the Affordable Care Act. Extra help employees are not guaranteed permanent status at the end of the assignment.
- Examples Of Duties
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Perform pre-, intra- and post-operative nursing duties.
- Assist surgeons in selecting and handling of instruments, controlling bleeding, and suturing incisions.
- Perform scrubbing and circulating duties.
- Administer sedation.
- Collect, interpret, record and communicate pertinent data relevant to the patient's care in surgery.
- Assist in the positioning of patients for surgery.
- Transfer patients to and from bed, gurney and/or operating table.
- Organize and coordinate schedules based on changes to patient status, the environment and procedures being administered.
- Organize, assign and supervise duties and responsibilities of other staff members as a team leader; orient and teach new staff members of the nursing team and students.
- Perform nursing care following prescribed rules, policies, protocol and procedures.
- Identify problems, assist in data gathering, propose solutions and participate in evaluation of quality assurance issues.
- Participate in educational programs to maintain level of expertise.
- Participate in non-clinical assignments, which may include maintaining records, preparing reports and/or serving on special committees.
- Maintain records and prepare reports.
- Operate a variety of medical machinery and equipment.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Possession of a current California license as a Registered Nurse.
- Possession of valid and current Basic Life Support (BLS).
- Possession of an Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and/or Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification if assigned to Post Anesthesia Recovery Unit (PACU) or Surgical Short Stay (SSU).
- Must obtain ACLS or PALS certification as a requirement for passing probation or within six months from appointment if assigned to Operation Room.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Current nursing and related medical theory and skills necessary to administer nursing care within assigned clinical setting.
- Safety and infection control practices.
- Clinical systems, supplies and equipment.
- Nurse Practice Act.
- Perform nursing procedures required for assigned clinical setting.
- Comply with clinical procedures and policies.
- Maintain professional nurse-patient relationships.
- Communicate with and educate patients, families, and the public who come from a diverse background.
- Work harmoniously with other personnel.
- Follow safety practices.
- Assist in the instruction of other nursing and paraprofessional personnel.
- Bend, kneel and squat as needed.
- Occasionally use upper extremities to exert force to push and pull patients/objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more.
- Work in a busy environment.
If you are interested in being considered for this extra help position, the following materials must be electronically submitted in a Word or PDF format.
- Cover letter
- Responses to these supplemental questions:
1. Possession of a current California license as a Registered Nurse is required to qualify for this recruitment. Do you possess a current California license as a Registered Nurse? (Please include your license number.) A "No" answer will disqualify you from this recruitment.)
2. Possession of each of the following life support certificates is required to be employed in the Operating Room: Basic Life Support (BLS), Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS). Which of these certificates do you currently possess? (Include all that apply.)
a. Basic Life Support Certificate (BLS) issued by the American Heart Association
b. Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate issued by the American Red Cross
c. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
e. Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
f. None of the above
3. Describe the education, training, and experience that qualify you for a position as a Perioperative Nurse-Sedation Nurse in Radiology, the Operating Room or PACU/Recovery. Please specify which one you have experience in, and include specific certificates, training and experience. Be specific.
4. Considering your previous work experience, education and training please list all the tasks you have performed such as:
- Assess patient's condition before, during, and after operations
- Scrubbing duties
- Circulation duties
- Working directly with surgeons
- Identify and handle instruments
- Provide information to enable patients to make informed decisions regarding surgical care and treatment
- Patient scheduling
- Follow established procedures
- Performed conscious sedation
- Performed endoscopic procedures
- No experience, but willing to learn
5. Considering your previous work experience, education and training, how long have you performed the task(s) listed or selected above?
- 3 years or more
- More than 2 years but less than 3 years
- 1 year or more but less than 2 years
- Less than 1 year
- Never, but willing to learn
6. Considering your previous work experience, education and training, how long ago did you perform the task (s) listed or selected in #4?
- Less than 6 months ago
- More than 6 months but less than 1 year ago
- More than 1 year but less than 2 years ago
- More than 2 years ago
- Never, but willing to learn
7. Considering your previous work experience, education and training, in what context / environment did you most often perform the task(s) selected in #4?
- Acute Care Hospital
- Ambulatory Surgery Center
- Outpatient Surgery Clinic
- Radiology Department
- During an internship, externship or preceptorship
- In a classroom or academic setting
- No experience, but willing to learn
8. List employer or references to verify your responses to Questions 3-7. Include the following information: (a) name of the employer or reference, (b) name of the supervisor or manager, (c) address, and (d) telephone number.
Please include the words "Perioperative-Radiology Sedation Nurse-Extra Help" in the subject line of email submission. All submitted materials must be in a Word or PDF format.
Please submit the above listed materials via email to:
John Jurow, Clinical Services Manager - Diagnostic Imaging, San Mateo Medical Center
Application materials will be reviewed as they are received and well-qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.
NOTE: Application materials are only accepted via e-mail. Materials sent via regular mail and/or fax will not be accepted. Submittals that do not include all required elements (responses to supplemental questions, writing sample, graphic design sample(s) and a resume) will not be considered.
At the County of San Mateo, we take pride in the way our employees bring together their diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives to serve our community's needs. The County is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.