Neighborhood House Association
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
PREP COOK (Full Time / Part Time / On- Call)
at Neighborhood House Association
Under supervision, the Prep Cook maintains cleanliness of kitchen equipment, dishes, and facility, assists in the preparation and packaging of large quantities of food, including meals and snacks, for distribution to NHA’s clientele.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, independent worker who possesses a solid knowledge of kitchen sanitation and cleaning of kitchen tools and equipment; safe food handling and transporting procedures and experience in working with refrigeration and freezer temperatures; stock and inventory control procedures, including requisitioning, receiving, storing, and issuing goods; operation of standard warehouse equipment, such as pallet jacks and dollies; basic safety procedures as applied to food preparation; policies and procedures relevant to the kitchen and its operations; basic computer skills; and recordkeeping and filing systems. The ideal candidate will have the ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate effectively in the English language; understand and follow oral and written instructions; observe kitchen safety and sanitation practices; maintain clean and sanitary kitchen utensils, equipment and work station; operate kitchen tools and equipment; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those encountered in the course of work; meet schedules and timelines; and provide excellent customer service. The incumbent must have demonstrated experience working with culturally and ethnically diverse, low income or no income clients and unique populations.
- Graduation from high school or successful completion of a GED program;
- A minimum of 1 year of food handling experience;
- Basic computer skills;
- A valid Food Handlers Card is required upon hire;
- Must meet and maintain state law and county licensing requirements regarding employment in a child care center (fingerprints, TB, vaccinations, health screening, etc).
- ServSafe Certification (or similar certification);
- Current attendance or graduation from a Culinary Arts Program;
Example of Major Functions:
- Assists in the preparation and distribution of large quantities of food;
- Cleans, cuts, trims, chops and/or slices meats, vegetables, fruits and breads;
- Opens containers and bags of frozen vegetables, fruits, etc., or dry goods and cereals and slices, divides, etc.;
- Assists cook in cooking vegetables, meat and other food;
- Divides and/or assists cook in dividing hot foods into appropriately sized containers for sites;
- Prepares sandwiches, sack or boxed lunches, or food platters for catered events;
- Loads carts for site distribution and may offload carts;
- Operates dish machine and uses three-compartment sink to wash dishes
- Maintains dish machine with daily cleaning, regular descaling, and keeping logs up to date;
- Removes trash and garbage to designated areas;
- Transfers supplies/equipment within and between storage and work areas such as dry store room and dish room;
- Cleans equipment using specific chemicals to ensure sanitary standards; conducts major cleaning of refrigerators, storerooms, and equipment;
- Cleans, sweeps, and mops the kitchen, floor drains, offices spaces, restrooms and other facility spaces as assigned;
- Cleans and sanitizes tools, equipment, tables, hot and cold storage, dishes, and floors;
- Follows all safety and sanitation policies and procedures;
- Prepares documents or emails using a computer and performs administrative tasks such as filing/sorting paperwork and creating food labels and production documentation;
- Informs supervisor when equipment does not work or stock is getting low;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applications may be obtained at 5660 Copley Drive, San Diego, 92111; 841 S. 41st Street, San Diego 92113; or on the Agency website at www.neighborhoodhouse.org. Applications may be mailed or delivered to the Human Resources Department at 5660 Copley Drive, San Diego, CA 92111 or scanned/emailed to: email@example.com.
Applications must be fully completed (per instructions), signed, and dated when submitted. Any applicable supplemental application questions and/ or certifications must be attached to the application at the time the application is submitted. All statements on the application will be subject to verification and investigation prior to employment. In order for your education or certification(s) to be considered, you must attach a copy of your official degree transcripts or diploma or foreign equivalency report and/ or certification to your application. Please only submit the documents required.
NOTE: Only those candidates being considered will be contacted for an interview and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions of job on a case by case basis.