Neighborhood House Association
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
CLASSROOM SUBSTITUTES (HEAD START & EARLY HEAD START)
at Neighborhood House Association
Continuous postings accept applications on an ongoing basis. Approved applications remain on file for one year.
Basic Job Assignment:
Under the general supervision of the Site Supervisor, Assistant Site Supervisor and/or Teacher, assists in the instruction of the pre-school or toddler aged children and assists in providing an environment and experiences that maximize learning of each child at his/ her individual level of development. Assistance may be provided in the classrooms, on the playgrounds, and/ or in the kitchen.
The ideal candidate is a self-motivated, independent worker who possesses a genuine interest in Early Childhood Education and Child Development theories and practices; adult learning principles and the Family Child Care philosophy; Federal, state and local laws and regulations applicable to the Head Start program; Head Start Program Performance Standards; goals, objectives, policies and procedures of the NHA Head Start program. The ideal candidate will also have the ability to communicate effectively with staff, managers, clients/ participants, and individuals of varying levels outside of the organization; establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of Association management, employees, parents, and others encountered in the course of work; assist in creating and maintaining a safe learning environment for children and others; is well organized, coachable, punctual, and dependable; Communicate effectively orally and in writing; Operate a computer using word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications, and operate other standard office equipment. In addition, the candidate should be approachable a collaborative team player, and has demonstrated experience working and effectively communicating with culturally and ethnically diverse, low income or no income clients and unique populations.
Example of Major Functions:
- Assists in developing and implementing weekly lesson plans, which integrate activities that are developmentally appropriate for preschool children;
- Support in integrating Head Start curriculum and philosophy; and comply with the Performance Standards;
- Assists in developing and maintaining a safe, pleasing, and nurturing environment for the children
- Provide breaks and planning time for Teacher and Associate Teacher;
- Assists in screening each child using appropriate assessment tools;
- Support monthly reports on attendance, excused absences, daily sign in/out sheets, In-kind, CACFP meal count;
- Ensures that daily hygiene needs are met by modeling such routines as tooth brushing, hand washing, use of the bathroom and meal times;
- Supervises indoor/ outdoor play environment;
- Ensures the safety of the classroom as well as the outdoor playground;
- Provide emotional support and encourage high self-esteem in the children;
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Substitute Teacher Aide: Has successfully completed at least six (6) units Child Development /Early Childhood Education with a grade of ‘C’ or higher and an unofficial copy of transcripts must be attached to the employment application if applicable
- Substitute Associate Teacher: Possession of a valid Associate Teacher Permit or higher required;
- Substitute Teacher: Possession of a valid Teacher Permit or higher plus an Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Child Development /Early Childhood Education or a related field required and an unofficial copy of transcripts must be attached to the employment application if applicable
- For Early Head Start: A minimum of at least three (3) units of demonstrated coursework with Infants and Toddlers required;
- A minimum of six (6) months experience in a licensed preschool or infant/toddler care center required
- A passion for working with preschool age children required;
- Must meet and maintain state law and county licensing requirements regarding employment in a child care center including fingerprints, TB, and physical examination as well as provide proof of immunity to measles and pertussis, and must obtain an influenza vaccination, or provide a medical exemption;
- Current Certification in CPR/ Pediatric First Aid or the ability to obtain within the first 90 days of employment required;
Applications may be obtained at 5660 Copley Drive, San Diego, 92111; 841 S. 41st Street, San Diego 92113; or on the Agency website at www.neighborhoodhouse.org. Completed applications may be mailed or delivered to the Human Resources Department at 5660 Copley Drive, San Diego, CA 92111 or scanned/emailed to: email@example.com.
Applications must be fully completed (per instructions), signed, and dated when submitted. Any applicable supplemental application questions and/ or certifications must be attached to the application at the time the application is submitted. All statements on the application will be subject to verification and investigation prior to employment. In order for your education or certification(s) to be considered, you must attach a copy of your official degree transcripts or diploma or foreign equivalency report and/ or certification to your application. Please only submit the documents required.
NOTE: Only those candidates being considered will be contacted for an interview and reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with qualified disabilities to perform the essential functions of job on a case by case basis.