La Maestra Community Health Centers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Medical Assistant- National City
at La Maestra Community Health Centers
Location/ Department: National City
Status/ Hours: Full Time/ Non-Exempt
The Medical Assistant performs the designated nursing procedures within the clinic, assists and carries out the physician’s orders and executes vital clinical tasks in a professional and efficient manner under the supervision of a registered nurse. The successful candidate will have a sincere interest in the organization's mission; possess excellent communication and customer service skills and value attention to detail.
Essential duties and responsibilities (including but not limited to):
- Moves the patient from the waiting room to an examination room in a timely manner.
- Takes the patient’s vitals, documents the results in NextGen and informs the RN or physician of any abnormalities.
- Records the patient’s medications and performs medication reconciliation, if applicable.
- Perform and records a hearing and vision test, when necessary, and records in NextGen.
- Records patient complaint, patient complaint details, allergies, smoking status, smoking cessation, family, social, and medical history as part of intake on NextGen.
- Administers standing orders as they pertain to patient concerns.
- Updates immunization records in NextGen, if applicable.
- Scans the necessary lab, x-ray, emergency room forms, or other important documents within the medical chart for the physician to be evaluated during the examination.
- Records all phone calls electronically within NextGen.
- Prepares the patient for a physician examination.
- Prepares needed equipment and supplies within the examination room.
- Checks the examination room for cleanliness.
- Administers and documents treatments, procedures and injections.
- Assists physicians with examinations.
- Translates between the physician and the patient by explaining diets, treatments or special instructions to be followed by the patient. Translations must be verbatim to what has been stated by the physician, unless instructed otherwise.
- Gathers and performs necessary lab, x-ray, immunization, etc., for the patient, as instructed by the physician.
- Collects non-blood specimens such as urine, sputum, and throat swabs for laboratory testing and logs specimen as directed. Ensures specimen requirements are met at the time of collection. (Depending on specialty)
- Performs skillfully in an emergency situation, including preparing for an IV administration, being knowledgeable of contents of crash cart and the emergency protocol of clinic and being able to initiate CPR. (Depending on specialty)
- Administers medications by mouth, as instructed by the physician.
- Performs treatments as ordered by provider and supervised by the RN.
- Cleans specialty areas to provide back-up coverage and assist as necessary (Pediatrics, OB/GYN). The MA must be knowledgeable of specialty services, instruments, supplies and equipment.
- Removes all contaminated items in the examination rooms before exiting.
- Soaks instruments as needed in special solutions. (Depending on specialty)
- Obtains consent before minor surgical procedures.
Education: High School Diploma
Certification required: Medical Assistant Certificate and CPR certification
Experience: 1-2 years’ experience in a community clinic, Physician office or hospital setting as a Medical Assistant preferred.
Fluent in English/Spanish preferred
Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and demonstrated ability to work with diverse individuals and groups.
Ability to multitask, organize, and prioritize while maintaining high standards of accuracy and quality under deadline pressure and with a high level of professionalism.
La Maestra Community Health Centers is an equal opportunity employer and does not
discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender, disability or any other legally protected status.