Dollar General Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
DISTRICT MANAGER CANDIDATE - A
at Dollar General Corporation
- Requisition ID
- Job Location
- Job Category/Title
- Retail Management
Dollar General (NYSE: DG) is a Fortune 200 company with more than 15,400 retail locations in 44 states, 16 distribution centers and 135,000 employees that embody our mission of Serving Others each and every day. We work in an energetic atmosphere that embraces innovation, diversity and teamwork, all while keeping our customers and communities at the center of everything we do! At Dollar General, employees have numerous growth and development career opportunities through award-winning training and being part of one of America’s fastest-growing retailers. Apply today and let’s grow together!
The District Manager Candidate (DMC) position is part of a 3-phase, multi-unit management training program for candidates with a combination of retail experience and strong leadership skills. For the first two phases, the DMC will be in a Store Manager role for approximately one year in locations with increasing complexity. After successful completion of the Store Manager portion of the program, they will progress to phase 3 of the program where they will oversee multiple stores within a District.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Phase 1 and 2 as a Store Manager:
- Recruit, select and retain qualified employees according to federal and state labor laws and company policies; make recommendations regarding employee pay rate and advancement
- Provide proper training for employees; conduct performance evaluations; identify gaps for appropriate solutions and/or counseling, up to and including termination.
- Ensure that the store is appropriately staffed and effectively opened and closed each day. Personally open the store a minimum of two times per week; personally close the store a minimum of two times per week.
- Evaluate operating statements to identify business trends (including sales, profitability, and turn), expense control opportunities, potential shrink, and errors.
- Ensure the financial integrity of the store through strict cashier accountability, key control, and adherence to stated company security practices and cash control procedures.
- Provide superior customer service leadership.
- Maintain a clean, well-organized store; facilitate a safe and secure working and shopping environment.
- Follow company policies and procedures as outlined in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, Employee Handbook, and company communications; ensure employee compliance.
- Partner with mentor District Manager to review store and district level reports, observe an inventory, cover upcoming changes, etc.
- Complete store visits with Loss Prevention Manager.
- Attend meetings and store visits with the Region Director on an as needed basis.
Phase 3 as a Multi-Store Leader:
- Recruit, select and retain qualified Store Managers according to federal and state labor laws and company policies
- Provide effective leadership to Store Managers consistent with Dollar General’s mission and values.
- Ensure adherence to Human Resources policies & practices throughout all stores
- Drive annual sales growth that meets or exceeds company targets
- Ensure tools are effectively utilized in each store and market, resulting in superior inventory presentation and management
- Protect company assets through loss prevention and expense efficiencies
- Provide consistent and effective communication of divisional and regional priorities to store teams
- Attend meetings and district visits with the Regional Director on an as needed basis.
- Attend DMT at the store support center upon successful completion of the DMC program
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
- Demonstrated results-oriented leadership including the ability to model, develop and serve as a steward of Dollar General’s mission and values.
- Demonstrated record of achieving performance goals and objectives.
- Financial analysis skills sufficient to interpret operating statements and other financial reporting data, manage budgets, and control inventory.
- Demonstrated ability to produce desired results by leveraging resources, maintaining tough expense control, managing merchandise effectively, and defining and communicating clear expectations.
- Ability to perform IBM cash register functions to generate reports.
- Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment while demonstrating flexibility and adaptability.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and leadership skills including a willingness to consistently provide superior customer service, the ability to react appropriately under pressure, and the ability to apply good judgment in ambiguous situations.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in collaboration with team to achieve objectives in a participative management style.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
- Four year degree in business or a related field, and one year of retail management experience preferred or; previous retail knowledge & proven leadership.
Note: This position requires weekly travel with limited overnight stays; a current driver's license and acceptable driving history is required. Upon completion of the program, candidate may be required to relocate within an assigned area or be removed from the program.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Frequent walking and standing
- Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks.
- Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanner, pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
- Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds.
- Occasional climbing (using ladder).
- Regularly driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits and occasionally to attend management meetings and to other Dollar General stores.
- Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level
- Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions
Dollar General Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.