City of San Diego
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Water Systems Technician II - T10668-201707
at City of San Diego
- JOB INFORMATION
- Water Systems Technician II positions assist with or perform a variety of construction, repair and maintenance duties on water storage, water metering, transmission, treatment and distribution systems, including the following: Valve and hydrant installation, repair and maintenance; pump installation, repair and maintenance; storage tank and standpipe repair and maintenance; residential, commercial and industrial meter installation, repair and maintenance; backflow prevention device testing, installation, repair and maintenance; water main, transmission line and service pipe installation, repair and maintenance; install ¾" and 1" meters at residential service connections; collect samples of water to be tested; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Water Systems Technician II employees may be required to work on a stand-by basis and in confined spaces.
- Water Systems Technician II employees may be required to work overtime including nights, weekends and holidays.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
EXPERIENCE: Two years of full-time experience constructing, repairing, and maintaining various components of water or similar types of pipeline (2" or larger), distribution, collection, storage, treatment, transmission or related systems. Qualifying experience must include maintenance and repair work on TWO or more of the following: Valves, pumps, backflow prevention devices, meters, water or sewer treatment systems, reservoir or related facilities.
CERTIFICATION: A valid Grade D2 or higher Water Distribution Operator Certificate issued from the State of California.
- Applicants MUST submit a copy of their Water Distribution Operator Pocket ID Card issued from the State of California at the time of application.
LICENSE: A valid California Class A or B Driver License AND a valid California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) medical certificate dated within the last two years are required at the time of application.
- A current H-6 Driving Record printout issued by the DMV will be required at the time of interview.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (MUST SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION):
- Proof of a valid Grade D2 or higher Water Distribution Operator Pocket ID Card issued from the State of California.
- Proof of valid California Class A or B Driver License AND a valid DMV medical certificate dated within the last two years.
Required documents should be attached electronically to your application. If you are unable to attach at the time of application submittal, you must submit them as soon as possible via fax: (619) 533-3337; or to the Employment Information Center: City of San Diego Personnel Department, 1200 Third Avenue - Suite 300, San Diego, CA 92101. Include your name and the title of the position for which you are applying.
- SCREENING PROCESS
- Please ensure all information is complete and accurate as the responses you provide on the supplemental questions will be reviewed using an automated evaluation system. If you are successful in this initial screening process, your application will be reviewed for applicable education, experience, and/or training to ensure all minimum requirements have been met. Successful candidates will be placed on a list which will be used to fill position vacancies during the next six months (180 days). For each vacancy, only those candidates with the most appropriate qualifications will be contacted by the hiring department for an interview.
- SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
- PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Employment offers are conditional pending the results of all screening processes that are applicable to this job, which may include but are not limited to the following: Confirmation of citizenship/legal right to work in the United States; completion of a pre-employment medical review/exam (which may include drug/alcohol testing); reference checks; and a fingerprint check. The fingerprints will be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the California Department of Justice for a conviction record report. Certain positions may require additional screening processes which may include a polygraph examination and/or background investigation. All of these processes must be successfully completed before employment begins. A positive test for alcohol, illegal drugs, including marijuana, or inadequately explained prescription drugs, misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of pertinent facts in any step of the screening/selection process may be cause for disqualification and/or termination of employment. Nothing in this job posting constitutes an expressed or implied contract for employment with the City of San Diego. Applicants must notify the Personnel Department of any changes in their name, address (home, email), or phone number or they may miss employment opportunities.
Rev. 5 – August 29, 2017 (Changed to Continuous)