City of San Diego
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Survey Aide - T11128-201903
at City of San Diego
- JOB INFORMATION
Principal Survey Aide positions operate optical reading theodolites, electronic total survey stations, survey data collectors, electronic measuring devices, levels, Global Positioning Systems (GPS) receivers, and other precision surveying instruments; determine lines, angles, distances, and elevations; make calculations such as COGO and traverse adjustments using computers and hand-held programmable calculators; review and edit raw survey data stored in data collectors; keep field notes and create drawings; operate hand-held radios to communicate with survey party members and City communications; act as chief of part of a small crew on routine jobs and have responsibility for a large party in the absence of the party chief; train and direct subordinate staff; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Principal Survey Aide employees with valid State of California registration as a Professional Land Surveyor are eligible for 15% additional pay.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: You must meet ONE of the following options:
- Three years of full-time experience on a land survey crew.
- Registration as a Professional Land Surveyor with a state licensing board.
- Land Surveyor-in-Training (LSIT) Certificate issued from a state licensing board.
- Completion of 30 semester/45 quarter college-level units of land surveying course work may substitute for a MAXIMUM of one year of the required experience.
- City of San Diego employees using Out-of-Class Assignment (OCA) experience to qualify must submit written documentation signed by their appointing authority or payroll specialist, detailing the work performed, dates, and total number of qualifying OCA hours.OCA experience without the required documentation will NOT be considered.
- Proficient use of Global Positioning Systems (GPS) receivers for Real Time Kinematic (RTK) surveys, programmable hand-held calculators and data collectors, total survey stations, electronic levels, and experience performing calculations for construction surveying, setting, and marking grade stakes.
- Proficient use of Computer-Aided Drafting and Design (CADD) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) computer applications.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS (MUST SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION):
- Proof of transcripts, registration or certificate, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
- For City of San Diego employees, proof of Out-of-Class Assignment (OCA), if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
- SCREENING PROCESS
- Please ensure all information is complete and accurate as the responses you provide on the supplemental questions will be reviewed using an automated evaluation system. If you are successful in this initial screening process, your application will be reviewed for applicable education, experience, and/or training to ensure all minimum requirements have been met. Successful candidates will be placed on a list which will be used to fill position vacancies during the next six months (180 days). For each vacancy, only those candidates with the most appropriate qualifications will be contacted by the hiring department for an interview.
- SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Employment offers are conditional pending the results of all screening processes that are applicable to this job, which may include but are not limited to the following: Confirmation of citizenship/legal right to work in the United States; completion of a pre-employment medical review/exam (which may include drug/alcohol testing); reference checks; and a fingerprint check. The fingerprints will be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the California Department of Justice for a conviction record report. Certain positions may require additional screening processes which may include a polygraph examination and/or background investigation. All of these processes must be successfully completed before employment begins. A positive test for alcohol, illegal drugs, including marijuana, or inadequately explained prescription drugs, misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of pertinent facts in any step of the screening/selection process may be cause for disqualification and/or termination of employment. Nothing in this job posting constitutes an expressed or implied contract for employment with the City of San Diego. Applicants must notify the Personnel Department of any changes in their name, address (home, email), or phone number or they may miss employment opportunities.
Rev. 26 – September 30, 2019 (Closing Date Extended)