City of San Diego
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Golf Starter - T10728-201606
at City of San Diego
- JOB INFORMATION
Golf Starter positions answer questions concerning the golf course and procedures, rules and regulations; determine and collect proper green fees from customers and arrange starting order for players; organize golfers into playing groups and make arrangements for timely spacing; patrol the golf course to interpret and enforce course rules; keep records, including those for numbers of players and cash receipts; operate a cash register/computer; close out and balance cash register; determine and issue resident identification cards; and perform other duties as assigned.
- Golf Starter positions are available only on a limited, hourly basis with the hours varying depending on the season and events schedule. There is no implied guarantee of a set number of hours.
- Golf Starter positions are required to work day and evening hours, weekends, and holidays.
- In accordance with California Public Resources Code section 5163, all persons holding Golf Starter positions must get tested for tuberculosis (TB) when hired and every four years thereafter as a condition of continued employment.
- MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
You must meet the following requirements on the date you apply, unless otherwise indicated.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: You must meet ONE of the following options:
- Six months of full-time PAID work experience at a golf course which MUST include demonstrated golf course operations related experience including answering questions concerning golf course rules and regulations; utilizing tee time reservation systems; processing transactions utilizing a point of sale (POS) system; and opening, closing and balancing transactions.
- One year of VOLUNTEER experience at a golf course which MUST include demonstrated golf course operations related experience including answering questions concerning golf course rules and regulations; utilizing tee time reservation systems; processing transactions utilizing a point of sale (POS) system; and opening, closing and balancing transactions.
- 15 semester/22.5 quarter units of college-level course work in physical education or a closely related field, with an emphasis on golf which MUST include rules of golf and golf shop operations.
- An equivalent combination of education and PAID work experience that equals six months; or an equivalent combination of education and VOLUNTEER work experience may be substituted for the requirements specified above. One semester unit = 60 hours. One quarter unit = 40 hours of work experience.
- Proof of volunteer experience showing duties, hours, dates worked, location of work, signed by the Golf Course Manager must be submitted at the time of application.
- The following experience is NOT qualifying without qualifying golf course operations-related experience: Retail or restaurant cashiering experience; recreational golf playing; and golf course maintenance.
- Basic mathematical skills (e.g., addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
- Computer experience including data input and report generation.
- Proof of transcripts showing completion of golf-related course work, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
- Proof of volunteer experience, if utilized to meet the minimum requirements.
- SCREENING PROCESS
Please ensure all information is complete and accurate as the responses you provide on the supplemental questions will be reviewed using an automated evaluation system. If you are successful in this initial screening process, your application will be reviewed for applicable education, experience, and/or training to ensure all minimum requirements have been met. Successful candidates will be placed on a list which will be used to fill position vacancies during the next six months (180 days). For each vacancy, only those candidates with the most appropriate qualifications will be contacted by the hiring department for an interview.
- SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Employment offers are conditional pending the results of all screening processes that are applicable to this job, which may include but are not limited to the following: Confirmation of citizenship/legal right to work in the United States; completion of a pre-employment medical review/exam (which may include drug/alcohol testing); reference checks; and a fingerprint check. The fingerprints will be submitted to the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the California Department of Justice for a conviction record report. Certain positions may require additional screening processes which may include a polygraph examination and/or background investigation. All of these processes must be successfully completed before employment begins. A positive test for alcohol, illegal drugs, including marijuana, or inadequately explained prescription drugs, misrepresentation, falsification, or omission of pertinent facts in any step of the screening/selection process may be cause for disqualification and/or termination of employment. Nothing in this job posting constitutes an expressed or implied contract for employment with the City of San Diego. Applicants must notify the Personnel Department of any changes in their name, address (home, email), or phone number or they may miss employment opportunities.
Rev. 7 - March 8, 2019 (Job Information Note Added)