City of Sacramento (CA)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Staff Aide (Crew Leader/Landscape & Learning)
at City of Sacramento (CA)
Pay: $25854.4 to $99195.2/year
$25854.4 - $99195.2
Job Status: Part Time,Contract/Temporary
Job Reference #: 2530869
Overall Job Objective
- THE POSITION
- *PLEASE NOTE: The salary range for this position is $16.70 - $18.90 per hour.
L&L Dates of OperationFall 2019 program dates: October 12 - December 15
Work days/times: Saturday 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., Sunday 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
On a part-time basis, organize and lead on-the-job vocational training, recreation, and youth development for young people; perform various clean-up and maintenance tasks in city parks and green spaces.
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. The Crew Leader, Landscape and Learning (L&L) is independently responsible for managing the work of young people including developing job skills, managing tools and materials, working with the public, keeping records of work hours and documenting significant events or issues. The Crew Leader, L&L leads recreational activities for team and relationship building.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by higher-level staff. Responsibilities include the direct supervision of the Youth Aide classification.
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all the listed duties and/or may be required to perform related duties as needed.
- Lead various recreation and youth development program activities.
- Lead, train, and instruct the work of a crew of Youth Aides.
- Serve as an example and role model to Youth Aides.
- Participate in the work and train Youth Aides to perform manual labor projects using general landscaping tools.
- Operate a motor vehicle safely to transport Youth Aides to work sites.
- Inspect equipment, recommend replacement or repair as needed; ensure proper care and use of equipment.
- Compile basic written records related to assigned programs or facility.
- Open and close recreational and/or community facilities; monitor facility use; prepare and set up facilities for use.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Common youth development practices and methods used in supervising youth.
- Leadership and training principles.
- Basic first aid and safety practices.
- Read, write, and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
- Organize and lead a variety of recreation and youth development program activities.
- Supervise and train Youth Aides.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Six months of full-time experience in recreation or community leadership activities.
Successful completion of college-level courses with major course work in recreation, education, child development, or a closely related field may substitute for the experience requirement on a year-or-year basis.
Completion of fifteen (15) semester units is equivalent to six months of experience.
PROOF OF EDUCATION
Proof of education such as college transcripts, degrees, or certificates must be submitted to the City of Sacramento Employment Office in person, as an attachment(s) to the online application, or fax to (916) 596-1556 by the final filing deadline. If submitting in person or via fax, please include your name and Recruitment #016236-19-YPCE-4 on your documents.
An applicant with a college degree obtained outside the United States must have education records evaluated by a credentials evaluation service. This evaluation must be submitted before you will be considered for any positions.
For Landscape & Learning Youth Employment Program positions, candidates must meet qualifications in accordance with current laws and regulations.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License at the time of appointment for some assignments. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Must be at least 21 years old by time of appointment. Must be 25 years old by time of appointment for some assignments.
If considered for appointment, candidates must:
- Pass a physical and criminal background check.
- Pass a tuberculosis screening test
- This position is designated as a Mandatory Reporter; completion of Mandatory Reporter training is required within two weeks of employment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK CONDITIONS:
The conditions herein are typically required of an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions
May be required to work weekends.
This is an active position requiring the ability to move about on foot, with frequent walking, and running; frequent starts and stops; perform simple and power grasping; verbal and hearing skills to effectively communicate with participants and staff; visual acuity to read and record documents and make observations.
Work may be performed outdoors with exposure to heat, often over 100 degrees, sun, noise, dust, and pollens; intermittently, lift, carry or move equipment of 20 pounds or less.
- THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
- Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can also be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application to the Employment Office by the final filing deadline:
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
- Proof of required education and/or degree equivalency must be submitted online with your application, emailed to email@example.com, delivered in person, or sent to the Employment Office by fax or mail by the final filing deadline.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail)– Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer or hire, the candidates will go through the process of certification, finger print/background clearance and medical clearance.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.