City of Sacramento (CA)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Recreation Aide (MULTIPLE PROGRAMS)
at City of Sacramento (CA)
- THE POSITION
Please note: Employment dates for this position are from May to August, possibly September. Although this recruitment has multiple-cutoffs, only one application needs to be submitted. If duplicate applications are submitted, only one application will be accepted.
The Aquatics Section oversees the operation of 19 aquatic facilities throughout the City of Sacramento. Staff in the Aquatic Section work to ensure a safe and enjoyable environment
while offering a comprehensive aquatics program that includes recreational swimming, swim lessons, swim teams, water aerobics, lap swimming, pool rentals and more.
Senior Recreation Aides in the Aquatics Section perform a variety of duties specific to the
operation of the aquatics office. Responsibilities of this customer service-driven position include assisting customers in person, over the phone, and via email. This position answers questions about swim lessons, aquatic program registration, and pool rentals in addition to making and transferring reservations and rentals. Other major components of the job include managing administrative paperwork, supporting pool cashiers, and performing data entry for the aquatics section.
Community Centers offer spaces for City-sponsored youth, teen, senior, after school, fitness, health, and sport programs as well as private rental events.
Summer Oasis is an outdoor recreational summer camp that runs from 9am-1pm.
On a seasonal and/or part-time basis, supervise and participate in the leadership and/or
monitoring of a variety of recreation activities, special events, human service programs, and/or neighborhood activities.
Employees in this classification are non-career. Incumbents can work up to 1040 hours per year. This classification differs from a Recreation Aide in that the Senior Recreation Aide also has the responsibility for supervising Recreation Aides.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
General supervision is provided by a higher level position. Responsibilities include the direct supervision of Recreation Aides and/or other lower level City positions.
- ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Depending upon assignment, duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supervise the work of Recreation Aides or other lower level City staff.
- Provide leadership in various City leagues, contests, tournaments, and other activities.
- Lead and/or monitor various activities in arts and crafts, sports, games, and simple dramatics.
- Promote neighborhood and community recreation events.
- Request, issue, and monitor the return of playground and athletic equipment; check equipment for proper care and use.
- Inspect playground equipment and apparatus; recommend replacement or repair as needed.
- Compile simple written records related to assigned programs or facility.
- Open and close recreational facilities; monitor facility use; prepare and set up facilities for recreational or community use.
- Monitor various program operations and assist with program planning.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Supervisory techniques and practices.
- Basic first aid and safety practices.
- Supervise, train, assign, and evaluate staff.
- Read, write, and speak the English language at a level necessary for efficient job performance.
- Lead a variety of recreation and group activities.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Six months of full-time experience comparable to a Recreation Aide with the City of Sacramento.
Possession of a valid California Class C Driver License is mandatory for some assignments. Loss of the Class C is cause for discipline. Individuals who do not meet this requirement due to physical disability will be considered for accommodation on a case-by-case basis.
- THE SELECTION PROCEDURE
Please note, the City of Sacramento's preferred method of communication with applicants is via e-mail. As such, please ensure you verify the e-mail address on your application, and check your e-mail frequently, including your spam and junk folders. All e-mail notifications can be accessed through the governmentjobs.com applicant inbox.
1. Application: (Pass/Fail) – All applicants must complete and submit online a City of Sacramento employment application by the final filing deadline;
- Employment applications must be submitted online; paper applications will not be accepted.
- Employment applications will be considered incomplete and will be disqualified:
- If applicants do not list current and past job-related experience in the "Work Experience" section. Note: Qualifying experience is based on 40 paid hours per week (pro-rated if less than 40 hours/week).
- If "see resume" is noted in the "Work Experience" section; a resume will not substitute for the information required in the "Work Experience" section.
2. Supplemental Questionnaire: (Pass/Fail) – In addition to the City of Sacramento employment application, all applicants must complete and submit online responses to the supplemental questionnaire to the City of Sacramento Employment Office by the final filing deadline;
- Responses to the supplemental questionnaire must be submitted online; paper questionnaire will not be accepted.
- Incomplete supplemental questionnaire will not pass the review process; omitted information cannot be considered or assumed.
- A resume will not substitute for the information required in the supplemental questionnaire.
3. Screening Committee: (Pass/Fail) - Human Resources will forward employment applications of individuals who submitted all the required documents (i.e. City of Sacramento Application and Supplemental Questionnaire) to the hiring department.
4. Hiring Interview: Those candidates determined to be the MOST QUALIFIED will be invited to participate in an interview process coordinated by the hiring department. There will be no eligible list established, as positions will be seasonal and/or part-time. A hiring interview is not guaranteed.
5. Conditional Hire: Upon receipt of a conditional offer or hire, the candidates will go through the process of certification, finger print/background clearance and medical clearance.
For questions concerning this job announcement and the application process:
- Please visit https://www.governmentjobs.com/Home/ApplicationGuide for a comprehensive, step-by-step guide to the application process.
- For technical support between 6 AM - 5 PM PT, contact Live Application Support at 855-524-5627.
- Visit the City of Sacramento Human Resources Department website at http://www.cityofsacramento.org/HR/Career-Opportunities;
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Call the Human Resources Department at (916) 808-5726; or
- Visit the Human Resources Department at Historic City Hall, 915 I Street, Plaza Level, Sacramento, CA 95814.