City of Los Angeles (CA)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
WATER UTILITY WORKER 3912
at City of Los Angeles (CA)
Pay: $70595 to $99848/year
$70595 - $99848
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2613034
Overall Job Objective
ANNUAL SALARY:The salary range in the Department of Water and Power is $70,595 to $87,716; $76,149 to $94,607; $92,540 to $97,697; and $94,565 to $99,848.NOTES:
A Water Utility Worker installs, maintains, operates, replaces, and repairs water mains, services, fire hydrants, water meters, and appurtenant valves and equipment.
- Candidates from the eligible list are normally appointed to vacancies in the lower pay grade positions.
- For information regarding reciprocity between the City of Los Angeles departments and LADWP, go to http://per.lacity.org/Reciprocity_CityDepts_and_DWP.pdf.
- Annual salary is the start of the pay range. The current salary range is subject to change. Please confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
- REQUIREMENT(S)/MINIMUM QUALIFICATION(S)
- 1. Eighteen months of full-time paid experience in the installation, and either operation and/or maintenance of all of the following:a. Potable water services (excluding sprinkler experience), andb. Potable water supply and distribution pipelines such as mains, and/or trunk lines (need to be at least 6" and larger pipes irrigation lines), andc. Appurtenant valves and equipment.
2. Eighteen months of full-time paid experience in the installation, and either operation and/or maintenance of all of the following while in the United States Armed Forces:a. Potable water services (excluding sprinkler experience), andb. Potable water supply and distribution pipelines such as mains, and/or trunk lines (need to be at least 6" and larger pipes irrigation lines), andc. Appurtenant valves and equipment.
- A California State Water Resources Control Board Distribution Operator Grade D2 certificate may be required prior to completion of the probationary period.
- Active United States Military personnel may file for this examination. However, they cannot be appointed until they have completed their military service and have been discharged with satisfactory performance. Proof of military service and satisfactory performance must be provided prior to appointment.
- Applicants filing under Requirement #2 must submit, at the time of filing their application, a copy of their DD-214 or a copy of their military identification indicating End of Active Obligated Service (EAOS) date within six months from the application date. The copy of the DD-214 or military identification with EAOS must be attached to the on-line application BEFORE the application is submitted. If the copy is attached AFTER the on-line application has been submitted, it will not be available to the City and applicants WILL NOT be credited with having submitted it. Applicants who fail to submit the DD-214 or military identification with EAOS at the time of filing by attaching it to the on-line application will not be considered further in this examination.
- Some positions may require a valid California Class B (or A) driver's license and valid medical certificate approved by the State of California Department of Motor Vehicles prior to appointment. Candidates may not be eligible for appointment to these positions if their record within the last 36 months reflects three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents, or a conviction of a major moving violation (such as DUI). For positions requiring a valid Class A or B driver's license, candidates will be asked to submit a commercial driving history in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles CVS Section 1808.1 prior to appointment.
- WHERE TO APPLY & APPLICATION DEADLINE
- Applications will only be accepted on-line. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the "Apply" icon. On-line job bulletins are also available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity.
1. Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.2. All application materials must be complete at the time of filing for you to be considered a candidate in this examination.
Applications will only be accepted on-line on the following dates listed below:
From 8:00 am Friday, January 10, 2020 to 11:59 pm, Thursday, January 23, 2020
From 8:00 am Friday, December 18, 2020 to 11:59 pm, Thursday, December 31, 2020
The examination may close without prior notice at any time after a sufficient number of applications have been received. Filing periods may change without prior notice or additional dates may be added, as needed, at a later date. For administrative purposes, filing will close periodically and reopen on the dates noted in the "Application Deadline" section of this bulletin.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the written test in the following order: 1) Los Angeles City Promotional applicants who meet the minimum requirements. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to apply for this examination as a promotional candidate; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs in the order that applications were received. Applicants not selected to be tested may re-apply in a subsequent filing period in order to be considered for that period's selection process.
- SELECTION PROCESS
- Examination Weight: Multiple-Choice Test . . . . 100%
The examination will consist entirely of a multiple-choice test administered and proctored on-line. In the on-line multiple-choice test, the following competencies may be evaluated, including knowledge of: methods, materials, fittings, tools and equipment used in the installation, maintenance, and repair of water service, mains, water meters, fire hydrants, and appurtenant water distribution equipment; parts and functions of valves and fire hydrants; trenching and shoring practices; locating substructures; vehicle inspections; and safety practices, including work area protection and traffic control; and the ability to: join pipe connections; use power and hand tools weighing up to 90 lbs.; operate compressors, dewatering pumps, and generators; deal tactfully and effectively with the public and crew members/co-workers; and other necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The multiple-choice test will be proctored and administered on-line during a single session. Candidates invited to participate in the on-line multiple-choice test will be able to take the test from a remote location (i.e., their home) using a computer with a webcam and a reliable internet connection. Candidates will receive an e-mail from the City of Los Angeles outlining the dates and specific steps on how to take the multiple-choice test on-line. It is anticipated that the remote proctored multiple-choice test will be administered between MONDAY, MARCH 16, 2020 and MONDAY, MARCH 23, 2020. Candidates who do not complete and submit the remote proctored multiple-choice test on-line using a computer by the specified date and time will not be considered further in this examination. Additional test dates may be added as needed.
FAQs for on-line testing are available at http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=employmenttestingprocess. Candidates who do not have the required equipment may have the option to take the multiple-choice test onsite at a City facility.
- This examination is based on a validation study, and as provided by the Civil Service Commission Rule 4.20, the multiple-choice test will not be subject to candidate review.
- You may take the Water Utility Worker examination only once every 24 months under this bulletin. If you have taken any of the test parts listed in the Selection Process section of this bulletin during an open filing period in the Personnel Department within the last 24 months, you may not file for this examination at this time.
- As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
- Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
- A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
- In conjunction with Civil Service Rules, applicants who are current eligible City employees or are on a reserve list will be considered Promotional candidates while all other applicants will be considered Open candidates.
- You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to file on a promotional basis.
- Seniority credit at the rate of 0.25 of a point for each year of continuous classified City service will be added to the weighted test score of each candidate.
- Your rank on the eligible list may change as the score of candidates from other administrations of this examination are merged onto one list.
- The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding seniority credit as indicated above, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open competitive candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
- In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combined. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22 and 4.23 as applicable and within the required time frame; however, the Personnel Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage, as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position. All City employees are required to be Disaster Service Workers.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN BOTH
ON AN INTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND OPEN COMPETITIVE BASIS
The City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERFor additional information and FAQs regarding the City's hiring process, please go to: http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=employmenttestingprocess