City of Los Angeles (CA)
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
WASTEWATER TREATMENT MECHANIC 5614 (B)
at City of Los Angeles (CA)
Pay: up to $103001/year
$103001 - $
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2666803
Overall Job Objective
- ANNUAL SALARY
- The current salary is subject to change. Please confirm the starting salary with the hiring department before accepting a job offer.
- REQUIREMENT(S)/MINIMUM QUALIFICATION(S)
- Two years of full-time paid experience as a Mechanical Repairer or Steam Plant Assistant with the City of Los Angeles in the repair of diesel equipment or wastewater equipment; or
- Two-years of full-time paid experience as a millwright or machinist repairing diesel or wastewater equipment in an industrial facility; or
- Four years of full-time paid experience assisting in the repair and maintenance of mechanical equipment, or performance of semi-skilled manual tasks in construction and repair activities. One year of this experience must be assisting in the maintenance and repair of wastewater equipment.
- Incumbents of some positions in the class may be required to pass an annual or periodic work fitness evaluation to determine their eligibility for continued employment in this class.
- A valid California Class B driver's license may be required prior to appointment. Where required, all candidates must submit a commercial driving history in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles Section 1808.1 prior to appointment.
- Candidates who lack six months or less of the required experience may file for this examination. However, they cannot be appointed until the full experience requirement is met.
- Applicants will be disqualified and not eligible for hire if within the past 36 months they were convicted of a major moving violation, such as driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs, and may be disqualified if there are three or more moving violations and/or at-fault accidents within the past 36 months.
- WHERE TO APPLY & APPLICATION DEADLINE
- Applications will only be accepted on-line. When you are viewing the on-line job bulletin of your choice, simply scroll to the top of the page and select the "Apply" icon. On-line job bulletins are also available at https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/lacity.
Applicants are urged to apply early to ensure you have time to resolve any technical issues you may encounter.
Application will only be accepted on the dates listed below:
Filing Period 1: From 8:00 am FRIDAY, MARCH 6, 2020 to 11:59 pm, THURSDAY, MARCH 19, 2020.
The examination may close without prior notice at any time after a sufficient number of applications have been received. Filing periods may change without prior notice or additional dates may be added, at a later date. For administrative purposes, filing may close and reopen on the dates noted in "Application Deadline" section of this bulletin.
In accordance with Civil Service Rule 4.2, all applicants who apply may not be tested in this examination. To meet anticipated hiring needs, only a limited number of qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the written test in the following order: 1) Los Angeles City Promotional applicants who meet the minimum requirements. You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to apply for this examination as a promotional candidate; 2) Applicants currently employed by the City of Los Angeles on a part-time or exempt basis who meet the minimum requirements; 3) Remaining applicants who meet the minimum requirements in sufficient numbers to meet hiring needs based on random sampling of those qualified candidates. Applicants not selected to be tested may re-apply in a subsequent filing period in order to be considered for that period's selection process.
- SELECTION PROCESS
- After meeting minimum qualifications, candidates will be scheduled for the following:
Multiple-Choice . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .100%
The examination will consist entirely of a weighted multiple-choice test administered and proctored on-line. In the on-line multiple-choice test, candidates may be examined for knowledge of: principles, operation, maintenance, repair, adjustment, and service of blowers, fans, pumps, and auxiliaries; methods of repair and overhaul of centrifuges, blowers, gas and air-compressor units, pumps, gear drivers, and boilers; methods, equipment, tools, and terminology of trades involved in mechanical repair work; safety principles and practices related to maintenance and repair of Wastewater Equipment; the ability to: read and follow blueprints, plans, and written instructions; troubleshoot mechanical problems and equipment; deal tactfully and effectively with others; and other necessary skills, knowledge, and abilities.
The multiple-choice test will be proctored and administered on-line during a single session. Candidates invited to participate in the on-line multiple-choice test will be able to take the test as instructed from a remote location using a computer with a webcam and a reliable internet connection. Candidates will receive an e-mail from the City of Los Angeles outlining the dates and specific steps on how to take the multiple-choice test on-line. It is anticipated that the remote proctored multiple-choice test will be administered between MONDAY, MAY 11, 2020 and MONDAY, MAY 18, 2020. Candidates who do not complete and submit the remote proctored multiple-choice test on-line using a computer by the specified date and time will not be considered further in this examination.
FAQs for on-line testing is available at http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=employmenttestingprocess. Candidates who do not have the required equipment may have the option to take the multiple-choice test onsite at a City facility.
- As a covered entity under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of disability and upon request, will provide reasonable accommodations to ensure equal access to its programs, services, and activities. To request a disability accommodation, please complete the Disability Accommodation Form within 14 calendar days of the submittal of the City application. The Disability Accommodation Form can be obtained at http://per.lacity.org/exams/verify_disability.pdf.
- Applications are accepted subject to review to ensure that minimum qualifications are met. Candidates may be disqualified at any time if it is determined that they do not possess the minimum qualifications stated on this bulletin.
- A final average score of 70% is required to be placed on the eligible list.
- You must have received a regular appointment to a City position or be on a reserve list to file on a promotional basis.
- The promotional list will ordinarily be used ahead of the open competitive list. However, if open competitive candidates receive a higher score, without military credits, than the highest available promotional candidate, after adding seniority credit at the rate of 0.25 of a point for each year of continuous classified City service, the Civil Service Commission, upon request of the appointing authority, may approve certification of such open competitive candidates ahead of the promotional candidates.
- You may take this examination only once every 365 days during the administration of this examination. Your name may be removed from the open competitive list after one year.
- Your rank on the eligible list may change as the scores of candidates from other administrations of this examination are merged onto one list.
- In accordance with Civil Service Rule, Sec. 4.24, review periods may be combines. Candidates in the examination process may file protests as provided in Sec. 4.20, 4.22 and 4.23 as applicable and within the required time frame; however, the Personnel Department may respond to and resolve protests prior to the establishment of the eligible list.
If you receive and accept an offer of employment to a regular position with the City of Los Angeles, your employee benefit coverage (including health and dental coverage as well as life insurance) will commence approximately six weeks after your original regular appointment. Not all positions in the City receive benefit coverage; you should inquire regarding the availability of employee benefits prior to accepting a position. All City employees are required to be Disaster Service Workers.
THIS EXAMINATION IS TO BE GIVEN ON BOTH ANINTERDEPARTMENTAL PROMOTIONAL AND OPEN COMPETITIVE BASISThe City of Los Angeles does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, creed, color, ancestry, medical condition (cancer), or Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERFor additional information and FAQs regarding the City's hiring process, please go to: http://per.lacity.org/index.cfm?content=employmenttestingprocess