California Teachers Association
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at California Teachers Association
Available Internally & Externally 10/29/2020. Monthly Salary Range for external hires not affiliated with CTA is $5,623- $6,129.
This position provides skilled secretarial and technical assistance to one or more professional or managerial positions in the legislative department of Governmental Relations with minimal supervision and acts in a discretionary capacity. Work is performed within established guidelines and procedures. Incumbent must exercise independent judgment and initiative.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The incumbent may perform any combination of the tasks listed below:
- Tracks and monitors status of specific legislative bills utilizing current legislative research/tracking technology including the Internet to generate specific reports.
- Conducts routine legislative information research.
- Assists with the coordination of logistics and meeting materials for lobbying efforts.
- Flags a position letter or interim position for technical review and signature.
- Maintains procedural knowledge of the California State Legislature and the rules regarding timelines and procedures for legislation.
- Maintains a general knowledge of reporting requirements of the FPPC’s rules and regulations as they affect the Legislative Advocates’ work.
- Maintains accurate FPPC records and prepares all necessary Lobbyist Employer and Lobbyist FPPC reports, certifications and registrations.
- Prepares legislative reports and material for State Council. Composes and prepares detailed correspondence for the department.
- Compiles, tracks and maintains computer driven reports on programs assigned to the department.
- Prepares and edits reports and correspondence for style and correct English usage, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Answers telephones and responds to inquiries as appropriate.
- Provides a variety of assistance in support of State Council meetings both in the office and on site as assigned.
- Provides secretarial support for member participation at meetings, trainings, workgroups, conferences or legislative events that are coordinated by the department as assigned.
- Plans, coordinates, and follows through on large projects requiring independent determinations as assigned.
- Schedules appointments and maintains calendar for persons to whom assigned.
- Coordinates itinerary and makes travel arrangements as assigned.
- Arranges meetings and conferences, prepares materials for duplication and performs other logistics as assigned.
- Assists in identifying, developing and reporting information from files and other resource documents.
- Establishes and maintains files and records.
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned.
Qualifications - Minimum Required:
- AA Degree and one (1) year of relevant experience, or, high school diploma/G.E.D. and four (4) years of relevant experience.
- Ability to function effectively under considerable pressure and solve complex office problems independently.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise planning, coordinating and follow-through skills as applied to large complex logistical projects.
- Ability to work cooperatively with fellow employees in a complex interdependent organization structure.
- Ability to work cooperatively with leadership and management.
- Ability to learn and communicate CTA structure, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to communicate clearly verbally and in writing.
- Proficient word processing skills with minimum keyboarding speed of 55wpm.
- Proficiency in computer technology and the ability to learn and use the Association’s software programs.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
Desirable Additional Qualifications:
- Knowledge of CTA's organization and its administrative and policy-making bodies.
- Familiarity and knowledge of legislative processes and procedures.
*This position is in a bargaining unit represented by CAS. Salaries are established by a collective bargaining agreement. Step placement is also determined by the CTA/CAS Agreement.