Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Ship Rider - SDCA
Any qualified individual with a disability who is having difficulty in completing an application because of incompatible technology or other disability-related application issues may contact us at the following phone number for assistance: 251-445-1932.
Austal shall abide by the requirements of 41 CFR §§ 60-1.4(a), 60-300.5(a) and 60-741.5(a). These regulations prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. Moreover, these regulations require that covered prime contractors and subcontractors take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status or disability. Austal’s commitment to equal employment opportunity applies at all levels of employment, in all job titles, including the executive level, and to all employment actions, including but not limited to decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion.
REPORTS TO: PDSS Manager
OVERALL PURPOSE OF JOB: Ship Riders will sail with the ship from “Sailaway” throughout the entire 12 month Warranty Period, being rotated out every 2 to 3 months. This person shall coordinate the activities of the Sailaway Team, and will be the single vessel point of contact for all issues pertaining to the operation and support of the ship.
SUMMARY: To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty frequently, independently, and satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
AUTHORITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide weekly metrics and ship status during the Warranty period.
- Carry out onsite inspections for complex and / or non-standard warranty claims.
- Diagnose cause of system failures and reports findings to Warranty Engineer (WE) to determine warranty coverage.
- Work directly with the shipboard crews in resolving technical and operational issues and maintain positive customer relations in all communications.
- Assist in management of Austal/subcontracted personnel in offsite locations.
- Must be able to follow directions and work with limited supervision.
- Adjusts equipment settings and controls according to specifications, and in a timely fashion to prevent or mitigate fire hazards, fire, flood, theft, sabotage or other irregularities affecting physical security of the ship
- Performs operational tests and fault isolation on systems and equipment to ensure conformance with final product specification.
- Responsible for providing extensive onboard technical expertise on all systems and equipment found on the LCS (and possibly EPF) vessels constructed by Austal USA and ensure that systems operate within prescribed technical requirements and mechanical specifications.
- Responsible for troubleshooting highly complex operational issues of ships systems that may or may not be covered under the ships warranty provisions.
- Works closely with the customer on all warranty related activities.
- This individual will be required to perform repair efforts in offsite locations and will be expected to travel to offsite destinations.
- Potential offsite travel is estimated at 50-75%. Overseas travel is a significant possibility although NO TRAVEL to declared warzones is anticipated.
- 75% of travel time will be underway with the ship to perform diagnostic and preventive maintenance services.
- Supports Warranty Engineer in meetings with customers (Navy Active duty and/or MSC) and may assume duties of the Warranty Engineer when warranty engineer is not available
- Assists in directing the efforts of subcontractor and company personnel in the handling and installation and utilization of various systems and equipment.
- Assists in conducting integrated equipment systems tests.
- Routinely provides technical assistance to ship’s crew.
- Diagnose and take immediate interim steps to mitigate hazardous conditions in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
QUALIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE / EXPERIENCE:
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD security clearance.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum 4 years related experience. College degree and shipbuilding industry experience preferred. Prior Military experience preferred.
- Ability to ensure systems readiness for operation and have a good comprehension and understanding of how marine equipment should operate.
- Must possess an in-depth and extensive understanding of ships propulsion systems, electrical power generation and auxiliaries related to marine vessels.
- Conducts complex product testing requiring improvisation of procedures, components, parts or apparatus and determines methods or actions to rectify malfunctions.
- Reads and interprets DC plates and schematics to assess local operating conditions of machinery based on operating parameters recorded during scheduled monitoring.
- Required to work unsupervised with significant responsibilities to the safe and effective operation of the ship.
- Must have knowledge of shipyard practices and operational principles of the shipbuilding/test process.
- Prior offsite emergent repair/modification experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure to place the equipment/vessel back into operation as quickly and safely as possible.
- Must be proficient in MS Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Good organization skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and be self-motivated
- Process oriented, customer service driven, problem solver, self-starter, team player who is energized in a changing, fast paced environment.
- Warranty Engineers
- Fleet Service Engineers
- Post Delivery Support Team
- Post Delivery Project Managers
- Navy/MSC Customer (Navy Chief Engineers & Navy Commanding Officers)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Must be able to tour all vessels and work sites.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, climb and balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk or hear.
Specific physical requirements include the following:
- Must have the ability to bend, squat, stoop, crawl, and kneel.
- Perform prolonged standing.
- Ability to turn head from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Ability to turn body at the waist from side to side and about the vertical axis.
- Lift/push/pull 50lbs to 75lbs on an occasional basis.
- Lift/push/pull up to 20lbs on a frequent basis.
- Must have the ability to climb in a safe manner (climbing as a minimum includes stairs, scaffolding, ladders, and ramps).
- Ability to work at heights above 12’ while working from ladders, scaffolding and/or man lifts.
- Able to work at a variety of levels (ex. waist, eye, overhead).
- Demonstrate the ability to safely and appropriately use required tools and equipment.
- Demonstrate good balance while working on uneven surfaces and maneuvering obstacles.
- Possess sufficient handgrip and coordination to carry and operate tools and equipment.
- Ability to utilize personal protective equipment (hard hat, safety glasses, steel-toes shoes, goggles, respirator, safety harness, safety line, flotation gear, etc.) safely per OSHA standards.
- Ability to withstand cold and hot temperatures.
- Ability to enter 18” x 36” openings and work in confined spaces for prolonged periods of time.
- Able to respond to verbal and audible sounds/commands.
- Able to utilize adequate visual skills.
- Ability to fully extend the arm while reaching overhead, reaching out, reaching to the side and reaching down.
- Ability to perceive attributes of an object/material such as size, shape, temperature and texture by means of receptors in the hands and fingers.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters whole performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, high precarious places, outside weather conditions, and extreme heat. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes and/or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and heat and cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.
- Candidates must meet the following employment eligibility guidelines to be considered for employment with Austal USA:
- 18 years of age or older at time of application.
- Able to provide proof of US Person Status
- No felony convictions in order to obtain the proper security clearances required for this position
- No felony convictions of Drug crimes in order to obtain the proper security clearances required for this position
Willing to submit to a drug screen
- Willing to submit to a background check
As a global shipbuilder and prime defense contractor, Austal offers opportunities for individuals to contribute to the development and sustainment of some of the world’s most advanced commercial and defense ships.
With major ship building facilities located in Australia, the United States of America and the Philippines - and ship sustainment and client service centres in Oman and Australia – Austal has an extensive network of operations with employment opportunities in maritime engineering, design, construction, technical services and sustainment, sales and marketing and administration.
Over 5,500 Austal employees, worldwide, benefit from a corporate culture that supports a safe, modern and secure working environment, flexible working conditions, training and development opportunities, genuine career advancement opportunities and competitive salary packages - and the autonomy and responsibility to achieve individual, project and organization goals.
With our track record of success and an even brighter future, Austal is an excellent choice for anyone seeking a rewarding career in a dynamic, global industry.